Interested in advertising your event to the campus community? Here's what you need to know.
How can I advertise on the monitors across campus?
Advertisements can be submitted for events/programs that are sponsored by a recognized student organization or University department. All events must be confirmed in 25Live prior to submission, and will not be displayed until a space reservation is confirmed.
While many buildings across campus have digital monitors, most are not open for submissions. At this time, only the University Center (Mary Graydon Center & Butler Pavillion), Residence Halls, and the College of Arts & Sciences accept digital ad submissions.
Digital advertisements should be emailed as either PDFs or Image (PNG or JPEG) files to the content manager of the digital monitors you would like to advertise on. In your message, please indicate the date range you are hoping to advertise for.
- University Center: Holly McAloney ( email@example.com)
- Residence Halls: Christine Chong ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
- CAS: Emily Davis ( email@example.com)
What are the formatting requirements and how long can I advertise for?
Due to the layout of the software, ads must be formatted horizontally at the size of 11 inches by 8.5 inches (pixel formatting is 1375 px by 1063 px).
- Using Canva to design digital materials? You can create a new file size to ensure that your ad will fit the monitor. When on the home page of your Canva account, select "Custom Dimensions" on the top-right and type in the sizes indicated above.
There are a large volume of requests to advertise on the monitors, and this has resulted in both time and quantity limitations.
- Ads for an event can only be displayed for a maximum of 2 weeks. Any ads that require an application process/provide general campus information can be displayed for a maximum of 3 weeks.
- Due to these time limitations, ads the include information about monthly programming are highly discouraged. This is because they may be removed from the monitors before all events have occurred. If you wish to advertise multiple events on one ad, please limit it to events held within the same 2-3 week period.
- Each monitor has a playlist that is on loop 24/7. Each ad will display for 15 seconds at a time in that playlist.
- Multiple ad formats for the same event will not be accepted. Only one ad per event will be advertised on the monitors.
For any advertising materials to be approved, the event being advertised must be confirmed in 25Live. Advertising materials will not be approved until an event space reservation has been completely confirmed.
For both paper and digital advertising, there is a 2-3 business day turnaround for approvals.
Paper Advertising Guidelines
Paper advertisements may only be posted on bulletin boards; ads posted elsewhere may be removed. You cannot post on trees, exteriors of buildings, on painted, wall papered, or glass surfaces, on building/classroom doors, car windshields, or on bulletin boards administered by a University department without their permission.
Printed ads must be at least half letter size (5.5 inches by 8.5 inches), and can be a maximum of legal paper size (8.5 inches by 11 inches). Due to limited bulletin board space, tabloid paper size (11 inches by 17 inches) will not be accepted for posting.
Additionally, month or semester-long ads will not be approved due to limited bulletin space. In order to allow all departments and recognized student organizations equal opportunity to advertise, flyers will only be posted up to two weeks before an event is being held.
For paper advertising in Mary Graydon Center, departments must drop off 5 copies of the approved ads at the University Center & Student Activities desk on Mary Graydon Center, Floor 2. For paper advertising in the residence halls, departments must drop off approved ads to the Housing & Residence Life office location in Anderson Hall, Floor 1.
Chalking must be done where it can be easily cleaned by natural rainfall.
Chalking cannot be done in the following locations:
- Stairs and ramps.
- Building entryways.
- Sides of buildings and walls.
- The 9/11 memorial section of the quad (between Kogod and Batelle).
Banners may be hung in various locations around campus with prior approval. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Tabling requires a 25Live reservation. Indoor space is restricted to allow egress, per fire code requirements.
While tabling, the name of the organization that made the tabling reservation in 25Live must be prominently displayed and at least one member of the responsible organization must be present.
American University defends the right to free expression, including the freedom to express dissent, within the context of the law and responsibility for one's actions. The university also reserves the right to specify time, manner, and place for the exercise of these freedoms, guided by factors that include safety, the rights of others, and the normal functioning of the university.