On this page you will find some frequently asked questions about DC Reads. Read through all of the questions on this page but if you have any other questions email email@example.com.
We use the following factors in considering your eligibility to participate in DC Reads:
- Are you 18 years or older?
- If so, keep reading!
- If not, email firstname.lastname@example.org about the possibility of a work permit.
- Can you prove that you have tested negative for tuberculosis (TB) within the past 12 months?
- If you have already received a negative TB test result, bring it into the office when you come to your interview.
- If you need to get your TB test, they are available at the Health Center. You can schedule an appointment on the Health Portal.
- Have you ever been the subject of any complaints or arrest for any criminal conduct, including but not limited to crimes against children?
- If you answered yes, DC Reads may not be appropriate for you at this time. Speak with staff in the Center for Community Engagement and Service.
- Fill out the online form available here at the DCPS website.
- The DCPS office has walk-in appointments on Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am-3 pm. If you can't make it during those times, call 202-442-5026 to make an appointment.
- They are located at 1200 First St NW on the 12th floor. It is located on the red line at the NOMA stop.
- Make sure to bring your negative TB test results and a federally issued ID. Also, be sure you know your social security number.
Training sessions focus on the following areas:
- Your role and responsibilities as a DC Reads tutor
- Basic tutoring skills, with practice exercises
- Diversity in the Washington, DC community
- Cultural sensitivity
- Youth development
- Curriculum development
- Work study training
- As a FWS student, you can log one hour of travel time per day of tutoring.
- As a volunteer, you can register for a Zipcard with the DC Reads account. Ask your TL or a DC Reads office staff member for more details.
- Statement of understanding
- I-9 form (requires original documentation proving your identity and eligibility to work in the US)
- Tax forms (federal and regional)
myau.american.edu → Work @ AU → Timesheets
If you are having trouble viewing your timesheets, you may not be hired yet in the HR system. For any issues, contact email@example.com.
On the AU Portal, click on Work @ AU and then "Eagle Service - Financial Information." Follow the instructions to register your account. If you have issues, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.