Configuring Mac Mail
Connecting to Your AU-Sponsored Gmail Account
Please follow the instructions below to enable IMAP access to your AU-sponsored Gmail account:
- Log into mail.student.american.edu.
- Click SETTINGS and FORWARDING AND POP/IMAP.
- Scroll down and select ENABLE IMAP.
- Then, click SAVE CHANGES from the bottom of the page.
Please follow the instructions below to configure Mac Mail to access your AU-sponsored Gmail account:
- Open Mac Mail.
- Click the MAIL menu, and select PREFERENCES.
- Open the ACCOUNTS tab. Then, click the plus sign (+) in the bottom left corner of the window to add a new account.
- Enter your full name in the FULL NAME field. Enter your full Gmail E-MAIL ADDRESS (including @STUDENT.AMERICAN.EDU) in the EMAIL ADDRESS field. Type your Gmail password in the PASSWORD field. Then, click CONTINUE.
- Select IMAP from the ACCOUNT TYPE pull-down menu.
- Type IMAP.GMAIL.COM in the DESCRIPTION field.
- Then, type IMAP.GMAIL.COM in the INCOMING MAIL SERVER field.
- Enter your Gmail USER NAME (including @STUDENT.AMERICAN.EDU) in the USER NAME field.
- Type your Gmail PASSWORD in the PASSWORD field. Then, click CONTINUE.
- Click the SSL checkbox from the Incoming Mail Security screen. Select PASSWORD from the pull-down for AUTHENTICATION. Then, click CONTINUE. Type SMTP.GMAIL.COM in the DESCRIPTION field.
- Type SMTP.GMAIL.COM in the OUTGOING MAIL SERVER field.
- Click the check box for USE AUTHENTICATION. Then, click CONTINUE.
- Click the SSL checkbox from the Outgoing Mail Security screen. Select PASSWORD from the pull-down for AUTHENTICATION. Then, type YOUR FULL E-MAIL ADDRESS in the USER NAME field. Be sure to include @STUDENT.AMERICAN.EDU. Type your Gmail PASSWORD, and click CONTINUE.
- If your set-up is successful, you will see a screen like the one shown below.
- Click the CREATE button.
- Click the ADVANCED button from the top of the screen.
- Verify that the PORT field is set to 993 and the USE SSL setting is checked.
- Close the PREFERENCES window.
If you have trouble logging in, make sure you are using the password for your AU-sponsored Gmail account, which is not necessarily the same as your password for my.american.edu. Also, double-check that your USER NAME is set to your full e-mail address in the format of email@example.com, rather than just your user name. To do this, click on the MAIL menu and select PREFERENCES. Then, click the ACCOUNTS tab and verify the USER NAME field.