Recommendations for Buying a New Windows Laptop
Please note: Any new laptop on the market will have sufficient power to run office applications, e-mail, and surf the Web; but, we do recommend the following configuration:
|Microsoft Windows - Laptop
- Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (Home, Premium, Professional, or Ultimate Editions)
- Microsoft Office 365 Student & Teacher Edition
- 8 gigabytes or more random access memory (RAM)
- 500 gigabyte or larger hard disk
- CD/DVD-writer combination drive
- Built in 802.11 n or ac wireless adapter
- 15"or larger display
- inkjet or laser printer
- carrying case
- three-year extended warranty
IMPORTANT: Kogod School of Business requires students to have a computer running Windows. More information can be found on the Kogod website.
Other Options to Consider
Laptop and Tablet PC purchases require more consideration than performance alone. Size, weight, and battery life are three of the most important laptop attributes. Think about how you will use your laptop from one day to the next.
- Would you rather have a 10-pound "desktop replacement" that performs like a desktop computer but takes up less space?
- Or would you rather have a 3-pound ultra portable that won't break your back, but also won't break any speed barriers?
Most laptops fall somewhere in between, but understand the trade-offs as you shop.
Below are some other options that you may want to consider:
- Upgrade to 16 gigabytes (GB) of memory, for better performance, if funds permit.
- Consider upgrading to an SSD (Solid State Drive) hard drive, for greater performance, if funds permit.
- Obtain an extra battery, if you plan to frequently work away from a power source. Some laptops offer a high capacity main battery or a battery that fits in the slot normally occupied by the CD/DVD drive.
- Consider buying a port replicator for convenience to connect your laptop to and external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, while in your room of office.
AU has negotiated special prices on certain computer configurations for personal purchase. Links to the vendor sites are available through the myau.american.edu portal on the TECHNOLOGY page under GENERAL LINKS. In addition, the Campus Store sells standard Dell configurations for students to purchase.