Workstation End of Life & Recycling Process
IT Asset Management Program
Once a new workstation has been installed to replace an older machine, the old machine will be picked up by the OIT Asset Management team to securely erase the data from its hard drive before it is recycled.
Green Recycling Options
Green recycling may call for the workstation to be:
- Reimaged for issuance in a reduced capacity, (such as a kiosk, loaner, or second workstation), if it is in a good working condition and still meets AU's minimum requirements.
- Dismantled by the IT Asset Management team to be used for spare parts.
- Discarded in an environmentally-friendly manner.
Recycling Old Electronic Equipment
- Send an e-mail to AUSurplus@american.edu to arrange to have old electronic equipment recycled.
- Be sure to include the following information, so the department of Procurement and Contracts and the Office of Information Technology can update the University's IT asset inventory:
- Equipment brand name
- Model number
- Serial number
- AU inventory bar code number
- Physical location
- Contact name and phone number
- Arrangements will then be made for the OIT Asset Management team to pick up any computers, wipe the data from their hard drives, and salvage any reusable parts, before sending the remaining electronic waste for recycling.