Connecting Older Devices to the AU Wireless Network
Instructions On How To Connect
This page will give you step-by-step instructions on connecting your older devices to the American University's wireless network. Some devices such as game consoles and other handheld devices are not able to connect to the eagle-secure wireless network, as it has enterprise level security. These devices can be connected wirelessly by following the below instructions.
Registering Your Device
First, you must register the MAC/WiFi address of your device by following these steps. Every device that is capable of connecting to a network has a unique hardware address that identifies it. You can refer to the instruction manual for your device to find the MAC/WiFi address, or you can contact the IT Help Desk for assistance.
- Log into the myAU.american.edu portal with your AU USER NAME and PASSWORD.
- Click on the LEGACY WIRELESS DEVICE REGISTRATION link under the TECHNOLOGY section of the portal. On the next screen, log in with your myAU USER NAME and PASSWORD:
- Once you log in, you will see the device registration form:
- You will automatically be set as the DEVICE OWNER. Fill out the rest of the form as follows:
DEVICE NAME: A description of your device e.g. My Xbox
DEVICE TYPE: The type of your device. Choose Other if your device is not listed.
MAC/Wi-Fi ADDRESS: The MAC or Wi-Fi address of your device. Refer to device documentation on how to find this, or contact the IT Help Desk for assistance.
- Click on REGISTER DEVICE. You should see the following screen if registration was successful:
- From this screen you can click on MANAGE MY DEVICES to list all of the registered devices associated with your account:
CONNECTING YOUR DEVICE TO THE LEGACY DEVICES NETWORK
Now that your device is registered for the legacy devices wireless network, you need to configure the device to connect. How this will be done varies depending on your device. You will need to take the following steps on the device:
- Create a new Wi Fi connection with an SSID name of "legacydevices" without the quotation marks.
- The security type of the Wi Fi connection should be set to NONE or NO SECURITY.
- Your device should now be connected to the legacy device wireless network!