Frequently Asked Questions about the myAU.american.edu Web Portal
- How do I log into the portal?
- How do I reset my password?
- How do I access my network drive from the portal?
- How do I update my mailing address?
- How do I grant my parents access to my portal information?
- How do I access my class schedule?
- How do I access my grades?
- What is the recommended browser for accessing the portal?
- When I log into the myAU.american.edu portal, I am missing some links. What's wrong?
- I have been recently hired but I have no access to HR/Payroll Online links. What should I do?
- What should I do if I can't log into the myAU.american.edu portal?
- How do I opt my son/daughter out of AU health insurance?
- How do I submit an article for publication in Today@AU?
How do I log into the portal?
You can log on to the portal at myAU.american.edu. Enter your USER NAME and PASSWORD. Then, click the LOG ON button. The system will verify your status at the university and show you links that are personalized for you. When you have finished using the portal, always remember to click SIGN OUT at top right corner of the screen. Back to List
How do I reset my password?
You can reset your password by going to myAU.american.edu. Click the RESET AN EXPIRED OR FORGOTTEN PASSWORD in the middle of the page beneath the sign in boxes. Then, enter your USER NAME and AU ID # . Then, you will be prompted to answer your secret question to reset your password. Back to List
How do I access my network drive from the portal?
Log into myAU.american.edu. Click on TECHNOLOGY, and then on ACCESS MY NETWORK DRIVES from the personalized links on the right. After you log in, your network drives will be listed and you will be able to upload/download files as needed through your web browser. Back to List
How do I update my mailing address?
Log into the myAU.american.edu portal. Click on ACADEMICS and then CONTACT INFORMATION (CURRENT STUDENTS). Select which address you would like to update and click SUBMIT. Make the required changes and click SUBMIT. The screen will ask you to click an option on the right. You can now close the window and log out of the portal.
Faculty or Staff
Log into the myAU.american.edu portal. Click on WORK@AU and then HR/PAYROLL CONNECTION. Click on the INFO/FORMS tab. Then, select the PERSONAL DATA CHANGE form. You must then print out this form, complete it in writing and fax to x2558 or mail it to Human Resources.
How do I grant my parents access to my portal information?
You can grant your parents, guardians, or others the ability to access your academic and administrative information through a special "account" on the myAU.american.edu portal. You may create a separate user name for each individual and specify the level of access you authorize for him or her by following the steps below.
- Login to myAU.american.edu
- Click on the ACADEMICS link on the right.
- Click the AUTHORIZE ACCESS TO MY DATA link.
- To set up someone who already appears in the list, click on the person's name.
- If the person you would like to set up does not yet have a userid, create a userid and password. Remember that the userid must begin with 'myau_' and the password must be at least 8 characters long. If the person already has a userid, that id will be listed.
- Check the boxes in front of the pages that you want the person to be able to see. Use the links to 'preview' the information. The previews are exactly what the person being authorized will see.
- Click on the AUTHORIZE button.
- Review the choices. To make changes to that person's access, follow the same steps as above.
How do I access my class schedule?
You can access your class schedule by logging into myAU.american.edu. Click on ACADEMICS, and then on MY SCHEDULE from the personalized links on the right. The current semester's schedule will be displayed. Click the BACK or FORWARD links to review your class schedule from another semester. You should check this schedule regularly before attending a course for the first time; changes to class locations frequently are made during the first week of the semester. Back to List
How do I access my grades?
You can access your grades by logging into myAU.american.edu. Click on ACADEMICS, and then on MY GRADES from the personalized links on the right. The current semester's grades will be displayed. Click the BACK or FORWARD links to review grades from another semester. Back to List
What is the recommended browser for accessing the portal?
The myAU.american.edu Web portal works best with specific Web browsers for different operating systems. OIT suggests that you have both recommended browsers installed, so you may try the alternative if your primary browser experiences a compatibility problem with a particular site. If you do not follow the recommendations below, some pages may not work for you or some of the functionality may be lost. For each browser, be sure that cookies are enabled and any parental control software is turned off.
Internet Explorer version 8 or higher can be used, with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher. Mozilla Firefox version 6 or higher can be used as an alternative.
Safari version 3 or higher can be used, with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher. Mozilla Firefox version 6 or higher can be used as an alternative.
When I log into the myAU.american.edu portal, I am missing some links. What's wrong?
This could one of several problems:
- Your Web browser, (such as Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari), might not be displaying the portal correctly. Try clearing your browser cache, or try using another Web browser to see if the problem goes away.
- Your status at AU as a student, faculty, or staff member has been changed in the Colleague system, or not been updated correctly. Contact the Office of the Registrar or Human Resources to verify your status. Generally, personalized portal links are only displayed to active students, faculty, and staff. Contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, email@example.com, or AskAmericanUHelp, if you are not in one of these categories and need personalized links manually assigned to your account.
- A problem in the portal may be preventing all customers from seeing their personalized links. Check the System Status page to see if this is a known problem. If the Status page does not mention this problem, contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, firstname.lastname@example.org, or AskAmericanUHelp to report the problem.
I have been recently hired but I have no access to HR/Payroll Online link. I do see other personalized links. What should I do?
This is usually caused by a brief delay in processing your hiring documents. Contact Human Resources to confirm they have received your hiring documents. Once they have processed your hiring, the link will show up in the portal automatically. Back to List
I can't log into the myAU.american.edu portal. What's wrong?
This could be caused by several different issues:
- Your password expires every 90 days. You should see the above question about resetting your password using your secret question and answer, or contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, email@example.com, or AskAmericanUHelp for assistance.
- The portal is unavailable for maintenance every Sunday morning from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. There are some times that the maintenance period is extended for a few hours and you can check the System Status page to see if that is the case.
- Your Web browser, (such as Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari), might not be letting you log into the portal correctly. Try clearing your browser cache, or try using another Web browser to see if the problem goes away.
How do I opt my son/daughter out of AU health insurance?
Opting out of health insurance is something that only the student can do for themselves. Ask your student to log into the portal with their account and look for the HEALTH INSURANCE WAIVER link in the HEALTH & WELL-BEING section. For further information, contact the Student Health Center. Back to List
How do I submit an article for publication in Today@AU?
Log into the myAU.american.edu portal and click on LIFE @ AU and then select TODAY@AU SUBMISSIONS from the personalized links on the right. On the next page, select TODAY@AU SUBMISSION from the links on the left. Complete the form and click PREVIEW. Review the content and then click SUBMIT. You will get an automated e-mail confirming that your entry has been submitted and is pending approval. For more information, contact University Publications at x5977. Back to List