Disclosure, Consumer Information, and Student Achievement
American University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action university and employer. Consistent with these principles and in compliance with the Student Right-To-Know Act, American University will publish annual reports which disclose information about the athletic program and campus security."American University is required to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act). In accordance with the Clery Act, each year American University prepares an Annual Security Report. This report contains statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by American University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus. This report also contains institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning sexual assault, and other matters. You may access the Annual Security Report online. It is also available upon request by calling the Department of Public Safety at 202-885-2537. In compliance with Section 207 of the Higher Education Act, information regarding state assessments, other requirements, standards for teacher certification and licensure, and data on the performance of teacher preparation programs is available from the School of Education in the College of Arts and Sciences. A copy of the report can be obtained by calling the school at 202-885-3727 after April 1.
Higher Education Opportunity Act 2009 Annual Fire Safety Report
The 2008 Amendments to the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) require Title IV Institutions to collect and publish statistics related to fire and/or smoke events as well as fire prevention policies and fire safety equipment as these items pertain to residence halls owned and controlled by the institution. In accordance with the fire statistics, safety and prevention requirements of the HEOA, American University Department of Risk Management & Environmental Health & Safety prepares a Fire Safety Report for each calendar year beginning with 2009. This report is released annually on or before October 1. You may access the Annual Fire Safety Report online. Paper copies of the Annual Fire Safety Report will be provided upon request. Please contact the Department of Public Safety at 202-885-2537 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following is a listing of information that American University is required to provide to current and prospective students, faculty, and staff for their review. The list provides links that disclose specific information that is in compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act, as well as the Code of Federal Regulations 668.41-48 and its implementing regulations.
American University accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education:
- Letter of Accreditation
- Complaint Process*
- For American University's academic policies and student grievance procedures, please see complaint process information page.
- State Authorization Information
- Contact Information for State Complaint Process (PDF)
- Required State Disclosures
As of Fall 2017, 18.3% of degree-seeking undergraduates received Pell Award.
Race/Ethnicity and Gender information is available in the Academic Data Reference Book.
By opting into receiving SMS messages, you expressly consent to receiving SMS messages from American University related to your request for information submission or your application submitted to American University (“SMS service”) and agree to be bound by these SMS Terms of Service.
- You may opt into the SMS service by providing your consent to receive text messages on any of our admission or event registration forms. The SMS service is not available to persons under 13 years of age. You agree as a condition of use that you are either (a) 18 years of age or older, or (b) if under 18, have parental permission to use the SMS service and are over the age of 13.
- You can cancel the SMS service at any time. Just text "STOP" to the short code. After you send the SMS message "STOP" to us, we will send you an SMS message to confirm that you have been unsubscribed. After this, you will no longer receive SMS messages from us. If you want to join again, just sign up as you did the first time and we will start sending SMS messages to you again.
- If you are experiencing issues with the SMS service you can reply with the keyword HELP for more assistance, or you can get help directly at email@example.com.
- Carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered SMS messages.
- As always, message and data rates may apply for any SMS messages sent to you from us and to us from you. When you opt in to receive SMS messages, you are responsible for any carrier fees such as data plan charges, text messaging charges, tolls, out-of-area roaming, and other changes. You will receive variable message frequency. If you have any questions about your text plan or data plan, it is best to contact your wireless provider.
- The SMS service is offered “as is” without warranty to its performance or efficacy. The SMS service is intended to be a complimentary service. Information presented through the SMS service is believed to be correct at the time of the text communication; however, it is not a substitute for your responsibility for meeting all application requirements and deadlines.
- Neither American University nor their agents, officers, trustees, employees, faculty or students makes any warranty with respect to the efficacy of the SMS service or the results obtained therefrom. American University expressly disclaims any representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied. You assume full responsibility for meeting all application requirements and deadlines and agree that in no event will American University or their agents, officers, trustees, employees, faculty or students be liable for incidental, special, indirect, consequential or punitive damages whatsoever arising out of or related to the SMS service and/or your use or inability to use the SMS service, however caused, whether under a theory of contract, warranty, tort, products liability or otherwise, even if American University have been advised of the possibility of such damages.
- American University is not liable for delayed or undelivered SMS messages. Delivery of information and content to a mobile device may fail due to a variety of circumstances or conditions. You understand and acknowledge that network services, including but not limited to mobile network services, are outside of American University’s control, and American University is not responsible or liable for issues arising from them.
- These terms are subject to change at any time without notice.
The following is a collection of data on student outcomes at American University. Additional information on retention and graduation rates, learning outcomes, and institutional assessment is available from the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.