- University Life
April 1, 2013
|FROM:||Neil Kerwin, President|
|SUBJECT:||Final Strategic Plan Objectives, Years 5 & 6
With this memorandum I am conveying a new set of strategic plan objectives for years 5 and 6 of the strategic plan. These objectives have been developed with the benefit of extensive discussions within the schools and colleges, led by Provost Bass, and in the other divisions of the university led by the respective vice presidents and our director of athletics and recreation. In addition to these discussions the university community was given the opportunity to participate in the development of these objectives through a variety of means.
An initial call was issued early in the fall semester for ideas related to fundamental changes or additions to the goals of the plan. On January 28, I forwarded a comprehensive set of draft objectives to the university community for review, comment and recommendations. In February, I reviewed these same draft objectives with the representatives of our student body, faculty, staff, and alumni who sit on University Council. Several changes were made in the draft recommendations as a result of these consultations, including changes in targets related to term faculty, information available to graduate students related to costs and debt management, extending family-friendly policy and practices initiatives to staff and others. Some recommendations were not adopted and I will communicate directly with those who submitted them to explain why they are not included on this round.
The objectives were sufficiently developed to provide guidance for the final decisions that formed the university budget for fiscal years 2014 and 2015. The budget and supporting information will be available on the Office of Finance and Treasurer and University Budget Resource Center websites later this week. You will note in these documents materials that explicitly link expenditures in the budget to the major goals and objectives of the strategic plan. In addition to guiding the allocation of resources, our performance relative to the strategic plan and more specifically these objectives will be carefully measured and monitored over the coming two years. I will report on those results to the Board of Trustees and the university community periodically during this period, including links to the underlying measurement methods and data.
1. Epitomize the Scholar-Teacher Ideal
2. Provide an Unsurpassed Undergraduate Education and Experience
- Generating an early decision applicant pool that will yield 30 percent of the enrolled first-year class.
- Increasing the yield rate for admitted freshmen applicants to 24 percent (while maintaining current levels of quality and rate of admission) and
- Increasing the percentage of freshmen who say AU was their first choice from the 2012 freshman survey results (53.9 percent).
3. Demonstrate Distinction in Graduate, Professional, and Legal Studies
4. Engage the Great Ideas and Issues of Our Time Through Research, Centers, and Institutes
5. Reflect and Value Diversity
6. Bring the World to AU and AU to the World
7. Act on Our Values Through Social Responsibility and Service
8. Engage Alumni in the Life of the University, On and Off Campus
- From affinity groups with increased programs;
- Engaged with any program sponsored by Alumni Relations or Regional Advancement; and
- Previous donors.
9. Encourage Innovation and High Performance
10. Win Recognition and Distinction
1. Diversify Our Revenue Sources
2. Employ Technology to Empower Excellence
3. Enhance the University Library and Research Infrastructure
4. Forge Partnerships by Leveraging Our Capital Location
5. Continue as a Model for Civil Discourse
6. Align Facilities Planning with Strategic Goals
- Cassell Hall
- Nebraska Hall addition
- 4401 Connecticut Avenue renovation
- McKinley-School of Communication renovation
- Washington College of Law–Tenley Campus
- East Campus projects
AU's strategic plan, Leadership for a Changing World, outlines goals and objectives for the next decade at American University. Visit american.edu/strategicplan for more information. (myAU.american.edu login required for some documents)