Memorandum January 24, 2020
- AU Community
- Sylvia M. Burwell, President
- Launch of Nomination Process—2020 University Awards for Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni
Each year we reflect on the outstanding achievements of American University students, faculty, staff, and alumni whose passionate and purposeful actions transform lives around the world. Our strategic plan, Changemakers for a Changing World, rests upon the three pillars of scholarship, learning, and community, and it’s the hard work and dedication of our changemakers that make AU a great place to study, learn, work, and call home.
Our annual University Awards recognize members of the AU family who exemplify our legacy of leadership, scholarship, and service, as well as our work to create meaningful change. If you know someone who deserves this special recognition, I invite you to nominate them. You can read more about the awards, selection criteria, deadlines, and submission process details on the University Awards website.
Nominations are due:
- Wednesday, February 19 for faculty awards
- Wednesday, March 4 for staff awards
- Wednesday, March 18 for student awards
- Friday, April 17 for alumni awards
We’ll honor the awardees during the following events:
- Faculty Recognition Dinner in late April
- Spring Commencement Weekend, in early May, for graduating students
- Staff Appreciation events, June 1–5
- Alumni Recognition in fall 2020
In reviewing the awards site, you will notice a new award, the Faculty Award for Outstanding Community Engagement, which honors a faculty leader in teaching, outreach, or scholarship initiatives defined by innovative and mutually beneficial university-community partnerships.
Each member of our community is vital to our mission. I am thankful for your contributions, and I hope you will help us identify and celebrate the members of our community whose commitment to AU is exemplary.