Professor and Dean Emeritus, SIS
School of International Service
Additional Positions at AUAffiliate Professor of Sociology
- Louis Goodman carries out research on social change and politics in Latin America and in Asia. His current research focuses on public goods, regional alliances and development. He has published widely on civil-military relations in Latin America, on foreign investment in developing countries and on determinants of career success for blue-collar workers. He has researched and lived abroad in Chile, Ecuador, Mexico,Peru and Singapore. In 1992 Dr. Goodman served as the President of the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs.
DegreesPhD, Northwestern University; MA, Northwestern University; BA, Dartmouth College
Favorite Spot on Campus:the tennis courts
Book Currently Reading:Waging Peace: How Eisenhower Shaped an Enduring Cold War Strategy
- DOWNLOAD FULL BIO (PDF)
- SIS-School of Intl Service
- SIS - 219
- by appointment
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Small Nations, Giant Firms: Capital Allocation Decisions in Transnational Corporations, Holmes and Meier, 1987.
- The Military and Democracy in Latin America, Heath-Lexington, 1990.
- Lessons from the Venezuelan Experience, Johns Hopkins, 1995.
- International Affairs Education on the Eve of the 21st Century, APSIA, 1994.
- President, Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs, 1992
Area of Expertise: International affairs education; U.S. foreign policy; democracy-building abroad; civil-military relations in Latin America; role of the military in the war on drugs; U.S.-Latin American relations; U.S.-Mexican relations; U.S. business in Mexico; Argentina; Chile; Colombia; Peru; Uruguay; inter-American relations; Third-World economics, politics, and development; international business; multinational corporations; immigration reform
Additional Information: Louis W. Goodman became Emeritus Dean and Professor of International Relations at American University’s School of International Service in August 2011, having served as the School's Dean since July, 1986. Under his leadership the School of International Service became the largest school of international relations in the United States. Previously Dr. Goodman served on the faculty of Yale University’s Department of Sociology and as Director of the Latin American and Caribbean Programs of the Social Science Research Council and The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. The author of numerous books and articles, Dr. Goodman’s current research focuses in democracy building and civilian control of the armed forces in Latin America and on the rise of Asia and 21st century international relations.
To request an interview please call AU Media Relations at 202-885-5950 or submit an interview request form.
AU News and Achievements
Fulbright Recipients Bound for Central America and Europe
Three SIS students earn grants to teach in Germany and conduct research in Honduras and Nicaragua, respectively....
SIS Faculty/Staff Edge Out Students in Annual SIS Softball Game
Faculty and staff may have beaten the students by one run, but a good time was had by all....
New Center Highlights Southeast Asia’s Growing Global Importance
Association of Southeast Asian Nations, American University partner to create first-of-its-kind academic ...