- University Life
PhD, Marine Ecology, University of Maryland
BA, Earth and Planetary Sciences, Johns Hopkins University
Board Member (2002-Present)
Fish & Invertebrate Ecotoxicology
Environmental Science Policy (national, international)
Communication of scientific principles or findings to general public
Meiller, JC. 2012. Online course development for Living in the Environment (ENVS 250). Funded by Center for Teaching, Resource and Learning, American University.
Meiller, JC and J Dillow. 2003. Escape from D.C.: Retracing a path of the Underground Railroad. Educational and residential programs for middle school students from Washington D.C. Funded by the Clarke-Winchcole Foundation.
Meiller, JC, J Dillow, K Walser, J Skelton. 2003. Educational six-week summer program. Funded by D.C. Children and Youth Investment and Trust Corporation.
Meiller, JC and BP Bradley. 1999. Proteome variability in oysters under metal stress. Thesis research project funded by Maryland Sea Grant (NOAA), 24 month funding.
· Meiller, JC. 2014. “Exposure, Dose, and Response”. Invited guest lecturer on toxicology for Public Health students in Environmental Health course, American University in Washington, DC.
· Meiller, JC, D Hunter, and B Atzili. 2014. “Case studies: an approach to teaching”. Led workshop on teaching with case studies at the undergraduate and graduate levels to teaching professionals at the 25th Ann Ferren Conference on Teaching, Research and Learning, American University in Washington, DC.
· Meiller, JC. 2013, 2014. “Environmental Toxicology: Pesticides & Endocrine Disruption”. Recurring invited guest lecturer for Masters of Science in Sustainability Management Program, KOGOD School of Business, American University in Washington, DC.
· Meiller, JC. 2012. “Environmental Health & Toxicology: A Look at Bisphenol A & Mercury”. Invited guest lecturer for Masters of Science in Sustainability Management Program, KOGOD School of Business, American University in Washington, DC.
· Meiller, JC. 2011. “Mercury and Human Health”. Invited guest lecturer for Masters of Science in Sustainability Management Program, KOGOD School of Business, American University in Washington, DC.
· 2008. “Workshop on Integrated Approaches to Testing and Assessment”, Environment Directorate Joint Meeting of the Chemicals Committee and the Working Party on Chemicals, Pesticides and Technology (ENV/JM/ MONO(2008)10). OECD Environment Health and Safety Publications, Series on Testing and Assessment, Paris, No. 88.
· Meiller, JC. 2005. Scientific Expert and Communications Representative for US EPA at 78th Annual Water Environment Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) 29-31 October 2005 in Washington, DC.
Meiller, JC. 2006. “US EPA EDSP Tiered Approach, Assay Validation, Chemical Selection, and Procedures for Implementation”. 3nd U.S.- Japan Bilateral Collaboration Meeting, 15-16 November 2006 in Kushiro, Japan.
Meiller, JC. 2005. “Endocrine Disruption in Invertebrates: History, Regulation and Future Research” Session Chair at the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) World Congress, 26th Annual Meeting 13-17 November 2005 in Baltimore, MD.
Meiller, JC. 2005. Endpoints appropriate for the evaluation of endocrine disruption in aquatic invertebrates. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Europe 15th Annual Meeting, 22-26 May 2005 in Lille, France.
Meiller, JC, and LW Touart. 2004. Considerations in designing a screening program relevant to endocrine disruption in invertebrates. Poster presentation at 4th Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) World Congress, 25st Annual Meeting 14-18 November 2004 in Portland, Oregon.
Meiller, JC and BP Bradley. 2001. Field validation of specific protein indicators of metal stress in the oyster, Crassostrea virginica. Poster presentation at European Marine Biology Symposium 17-22 September, 2001 in Menorca, Spain.
Meiller, JC and BP Bradley. 2001. Zinc concentration effect at the organismal, cellular and subcellular levels in the Eastern Oyster. Poster presentation at Pollutant Responses in Marine Organisms (PRIMO) 11th International Symposium 10-13 July 2001 in Plymouth, Devon, United Kingdom.
Mahaffey KR, Tan S, Grim C, Meiller J, and Bergfelt D.2009. Endocrine Active Environmental Chemicals: Broadening the Scope. In: Environmental Toxicants: Human Exposures and their Health Effects. Third Edition. M. Lippmann (ed). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: New Jersey; 661-701.
· U.S Environmental Protection Agency Silver Medal for Superior Service, 2009
“For exceptional leadership and scientific contributions towards the development, validation, and regulatory acceptance of the Tier 1 Screening Battery for EPA’s Endocrine Disruptors Screening Program”
· U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Scientific and Technological Achievement Award (STAA) (Level III), 2010
· Ann S. Ferren Curriculum Design Award, 2014
Center for Teaching, Research and Learning, American University
Award recipients: Kiho Kim, Sara Lombardi, Stephen MacAvoy, and Jesse Meiller
Environmental Science Policy Fellow, 2003-2004, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) at US EPA