- Dr. Judith Shapiro is on the faculty of the Global Environmental Politics program and directs the Dual Degree in Natural Resources and Sustainable Development (NRSD) with University for Peace in Costa Rica. She is the author of China's Environmental Challenges (Polity 2012), Mao's War against Nature (Cambridge 2001) and the co-author of Son of the Revolution (Knopf 1983) and other books on China. Her courses include SIS 660 Environment and SIS 352 Politics and Environmental Politics of Asia. Her website is www.judithshapiro.com.
DegreesPhD, International Relations, American University; MA, Asian Studies, University of California at Berkeley; MA, Comparative Literature, University of Illinois at Urbana; BA, Anthropology and East Asian studies, Princeton University.
Favorite Spot on Campus:SIS 308
Languages Spoken:Mandarin Chinese, French, some German and Spanish
- DOWNLOAD CV (PDF)
- SIS-School of Intl Service
- SIS - 308
- Tuesdays 1-3, Wednesdays 12-2, also by appointment and drop by. Please email in advance to confirm.
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
- Professor Shapiro's webpage
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Dr. Shapiro's current research is on the political and social dynamics of environmental degradation, and on the prospects for sustainable development in China.
- China's Environmental Challenges, Polity Press, 2012.
- Mao's War Against Nature: Politics and the Environment in Revolutionary China, Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Cold Winds, Warm Winds, with Liang Heng, Wesleyan University Press, 1987.
- After the Nightmare, with Liang Heng, Knopf 1987.
- Son of the Revolution, with Liang Heng, Knopf, 1983.
AU News and Achievements
SIS Expert Looks at China’s Olympian Efforts to Change
Expert chronicles changes in China from Mao’s Cultural Revolution to the rise of a consumer class....