- In progress--PhD, Higher Education Leadership and Administration, Colorado State University
Master of Arts, International Affairs, American University
Bachelor of Arts, International Studies and Women’s and Gender Studies, American University
Study Abroad, University of Westminster in London, England
- Favorite Spot on Campus
- The Eldridge Labyrinth
Christine Gettings is the Director of International Programs and Partnerships in the School of International Service. She manages SIS’s international partnership portfolio and is responsible for the development, implementation, promotion of the School's international programs. Christine is also responsible for the risk management and assessment of all SIS international programs.
Previously, she served as the Assistant Director of Global Learning and Leadership where she managed global community-based, experiential learning programs at American University. Christine has published and presented on best practices in international education leadership, developing mutually beneficial and sustainable partnerships, fostering inclusive student leadership, and developing joint and dual degree programs. She served on the NASPA Global Advisory Board and is the previous Co-Chair of the NASPA International Education Knowledge Community (IEKC). Christine is currently pursuing a PhD in Higher Education Leadership and Administration at Colorado State University.
Outside of international education, Christine enjoys spending time with her family exploring the Blue Ridge Mountains, reading, gardening, and cultivating leadership in young girls by volunteering as a Girl Scout Troop Leader.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- School of International Service Staff Award for Outstanding Team Player, 2023
- School of International Service Staff Award for Outstanding Contributions to the SIS Community, 2021
- Volunteer of the Year, Service Unit 53-7, Girl Scouts Nation’s Capital, 2021
- University Staff Performance Award for Collaboration -- StepUp Bystander Intervention Video, 2015
- University Staff Performance Award for Teamwork -- Alternative Break Program, 2009
- University Staff Performance Award for Teamwork-Web Development Group, 2009
- Distinguished Staff Award from International Student & Scholar Services/Multicultural Affairs, 2009
- Alice Paul Award from the Women & Politics Institute, 2007
- The Leadership X-Factor: Why education abroad staff don’t need a title to be a leader, NAFSA International Educator, January 2023, (https://www.nafsa.org/ie-magazine/2023/1/12/leadership-x-factor).
- Recruiting the Best-Fit Faculty to Lead Study Abroad Programs, NAFSA International Educator, August 2021 (https://www.nafsa.org/ie-magazine/2021/8/3/recruiting-best-fit-faculty-lead-study-abroad-programs?login=success).
- “Professional Development in US Higher Education” Japan Association of University Administrative Management. November 2022..
- “Balancing Health, Safety, Security Concerns with Study Abroad Students' Impact on Lower-Resourced Communities” Forum on Education Abroad 13th Annual Institute on Health, Safety, Security and Risk Management, New Directions for Student Success. June 2022
- “Strategies for Success: Leading and Managing in an Evolving Field” NAFSA Annual Conference, May 2022.
- “An Education Beyond Borders: Launching the First US-Japan Joint Undergraduate Degree” NASPA International Symposium, March 2021.
- “Mobility, Modalities, and Models: Renegotiating Inclusivity” NASPA International Symposium, March 2021.
- “Vetting Partners for Success in International Education” NAFSA e-Learning Webinar, 2020.
- “International Service Learning: Cultivating Ethical Student Leadership” NASPA Annual Conference, March 2018.
- “Program Access & Inclusion: Working Towards Equity in Alternative Breaks” Break Away, March 2017.
- “Talking with Colleagues to Reflect on Teaching, Learning, and Life.” Ann Ferren Teaching Conference, January 2017.
- “Going Global: Student Leadership and Service Learning through International Alternative Breaks” NASPA Region II Conference, June 2016.
- “Developing and Sustaining Global Partnerships through Alternative Breaks” Break Away, October 2015.
- “Reflection as Revolution: The Role of Reflection in Sustained Social Change” American University, July 2015.
- Gettings, Christine. “Working and Leading in Today’s Education Abroad Office” NAFSA’s Guide to Education Abroad, 2022.