- B.A. Hamline University (summa cum laude)
- Languages Spoken
- English and German
- Favorite Place in Washington DC
- The Library of Congress
- Book Currently Reading
- Skocpol, Theda, and Vanessa Williamson. 2016. The Tea Party and the Remaking of Republican Conservatism. Updated edition. New York: Oxford University Press.
Lucas Dolan conducts research at the juncture of international relations and contentious politics. In his dissertation, this takes the form of exploring the role of transnational social networks in the spread, mobilization, and success of radical right-wing populist movements in Europe and the United States. Dolan is also interested in social theory, philosophy of science, relational methodologies, and their applications to the study of international relations and contentious politics.
Lucas studied Germany as a Kathryn Davis Fellow for Peace at the Middlebury College Summer Language Schools and received training in social network analysis at the Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR). He is actively involved in transatlantic scholarly dialogue through the American Institute for Contemporary German Studies (AICGS).
• “Positivism, Post-positivism, and Social Science.” In Key Concepts in Research Methods, edited by Jean-Frédéric Morin, Christian Olsson, and Ece Ozlem Atikcan. Routledge (forthcoming 2019). [with Patrick Thaddeus Jackson]
• “The Radical Right as a Transnational Movement.” ISA 2018 Annual Convention. Panel FA78: Populist Nationalism and the New Authoritarianism II: Transnational and International Implications, April 6, 2018. San Francisco, CA.
• “Putting the ‘Relations’ Back in IR: What Two Decades of Research Has Taught Us.” ISA Northeast. Panel SA04: Retheorizing Constructivism, November 4th, 2017. Providence, RI.
• "Critical Man versus Power Politics? Reevaluating Morgenthau’s Legacy for Critical International Relations Theory and Practice." ISA 2017 Annual Convention, February 23rd, 2017. Baltimore, MD.
Recent Media Appearances:
• The New York Times
• Duck of Minerva
Find more information, visit Lucas's personal website here: www.lucasdolan.com
Follow Lucas on Twitter: @mrldolan