You are here: Alternative Text and Closed Captioning Requests

Closed Captioning Requests

The ASAC currently supports closed captioning requests for accommodation purposes only. If there is a student in your class with an approved accommodation that pertains to accessible media, all media shown in class, or required to be viewed outside of class, must be accessible to the student. Requests for closed captioning must be made at least two weeks in advance.

The ASAC wants to make sure that all students have equal access to the curriculum being taught and is here to assist in the process. We recommend that you begin by checking with the Library's Media Services department to see if they have the title(s) you plan to use. If they do, place the captioned/subtitled copies on reserve. The collection can be searched at: AU Media Catalog

If you do not see the title you need, you can request that Media Services order it for you at: Media Purchase Request

This service should be used first and before downloading videos from the internet.

If you are not able to find what you need through Media Services, please complete a Closed Caption Request Form for each item you plan on using during the semester. Do not hesitate to reach out to the Assistive Technology Specialist in the ASAC, if you have any questions.

Closed Captioning Request Form

If you have a request that is not for a specific accommodation please contact the Assistive Technology Specialist at or 202-885-3360. 

Additional Note

If you are utilizing Kaltura in Blackboard please be sure to tag your video with CCR (Closed Caption Request) so your video can be located by AT staff once your request has been submitted. Faculty that have not used Blackboard Media please be sure to go into Blackboard and click on "My Media" so that the video's can be provided to you. If you do not use Blackboard please contact the AT Specialist.

Alternative Text Requests

online request form

Students, if you have been approved to receive alternative text materials you can now submit your request's online! It is important to request your text at least three weeks before the semester or as soon as possible so you can begin your coursework on time.

Helpful Tips:

  • When purchasing is there an electronic version available?
  • Provide your request as soon as possible
  • Have your proof of purchase
  • If you have questions contact the Assistive Technology Specialist @ 202-885-3407
  • Identify textbooks by checking the University Bookstores website:
University textbook by course search

To request your books please fill out the following form.

Alternative Text request form