You are here: American University Provost Academic Access animals on campus

Emotional Support Animals

Procedures for Emotional Support Animal Requests 

  • A request for an emotional support animal must be initiated by the student registering for disability accommodations with the ASAC. Directions for making a request can be found on our website. All students must go through the Three-Step process. An ESA is a Housing accommodation and thus should follow all Housing Accommodation deadlines.
  • ESA requests made outside of the Housing accommodation process will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but implementation of any approved accommodation cannot be guaranteed until the beginning of the subsequent semester. Because of the complexity of ESA requests, students are encouraged to start the process well in advance of deadlines. No ESA may be in a residence hall without having been fully approved as an accommodation for the resident by the ASAC.