Supplemental Instruction (SI) consists of regularly scheduled, out-of-class group study sessions driven by students’ needs. Sessions are facilitated by trained peer leaders who utilize collaborative activities to ensure peer-to-peer interaction in small groups. SI is implemented in high-risk courses in consultation with academic staff and is supported and evaluated by trained supervisors. SI services are offered to all American University students FREE of cost.
SI Leaders are undergraduate part-time student staff members of Academic Support and Access Center (ASAC) and members of the Undergraduate Education Academic Support Department. SI Leaders are to supplement what students are learning in class by offering opportunities for practice and review.
As SI Leaders, you will gain confidence in your leadership, speaking, and teaching skills. You will develop a mastery of course content, while discovering new ways to help others learn. But also, SI Leaders will see their impact on students as they earn better grades, develop positive attitudes, and build confidence to become independent learners.
PAY RATE FOR SI LEADERS:
- Undergraduate students earn $14 per hour
BASIC REQUIREMENTS OF SI LEADERS:
- Be a current AU student
- Full-time enrollment as an undergraduate, five-year AU graduate, or post-bac (minimum 12 credits)
- Complete 36 credit hours prior to submission of application
- Have earned an A or A- in the course(s) they would like to tutor in
- Cumulative GPA at or above 2.75, and term GPA at or above 2.5 (GPAs must be maintained from the date of the application until the date of separation)
- Provide a resume or curriculum vitae
- Be available to work 8-10 hours per week
- Attend beginning of the semester orientation and ongoing semester trainings
The Application Process
Students interested in becoming a Supplemental Instruction Leader should apply to the Academic Support and Access Center's Supplemental Instruction Program.
There are three steps to apply to become a Supplemental Instruction Leaders:
- Complete and submit the online application.
- Send an updated copy of your unofficial transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide one faculty recommendation from the academic discipline in which you are applying to provide the most tutoring support, preferably from the highest-level course completed in the discipline.
- Directions: Download this Electronic Recommendation Form, complete the top section, save the document, and then send it to the faculty member.
- Instruct them to email it to email@example.com or to deliver paper copies to: Supplemental Instruction, Academic Support and Access Center, American University, Mary Graydon Center 243, 4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20016-8027.
Students selected for an interview will be contacted by a staff member.