Apply to be a Writing Consultant!
Writing Consultants at The Writing Center provide individual support for a wide variety of students' writing in classrooms across the curriculum, and for other personal and professional purposes. Writing Consultants are trained to work students from all backgrounds to help them establish and achieve measurable goals within writing tutoring sessions.
- Undergraduate Writing Consultants: Both undergraduate and graduate students can seek out your assistance for their various writing needs.
- Graduate Writing Consultants: In addition to providing undergraduate writing support, graduate students can specifically request Graduate Writing Consultants to work on larger writing projects such as master’s thesis, dissertations, etc. through a series of writing appointments throughout the semester.
Pay rate for Writing Consultants:
- Undergraduate Writing Consultants earn $15 per hour.
- Graduate Writing Consultants earn $16 per hour.
Basic Requirements to become a Writing Consultant
- Be a current American University student
- Full-time enrollment as undergraduate, five-year AU graduate, post-baccalaureate, and/or graduate student
- Be available to work 8-10 hours per week.
- Attend beginning of semester orientation and training.
- Attend ongoing semester trainings.
Students interested in tutoring with the Writing Center should follow the three steps below:
- Complete and submit the online application.
- Send an updated copy of your unofficial transcript AND resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide a writing sample, 5-10 pages in length, and send it to email@example.com.
Students selected for an interview will be contacted by Writing Center staff.