Apply to be a Writing Consultant!
Writing Consultants at the Writing Center provide individual support for a wide variety of student writing across the curriculum and academic levels. Writing Consultants are trained to work students from all backgrounds to help them establish and achieve measurable goals within writing tutoring sessions, in order to further develop their skills & confidence as writers and as students.
- Undergraduate Writing Consultants: Both undergraduate and graduate students can seek out your assistance for their various writing needs. Pay rate: $15.20/hour
- Graduate Writing Consultants: In addition to providing undergraduate writing support, graduate students can specifically request Graduate Writing Consultants to work on larger writing projects such as master’s thesis, dissertations, etc. through a series of writing appointments throughout the semester. Pay rate: $16.20/hour
Basic Requirements to become a Writing Consultant
- Be a current, full-time enrolled American University student under one of the following categories:
- Undergraduate student with at least 3 previous semesters of full-time enrollment, or the equivalent.
- Five-year AU graduate/Post-baccalaureate student.
- Graduate/Law student.
- Be available to work 6-15 hours per week.
- Be technologically equipped to tutor online (laptop with camera & microphone and reliable internet connection).
- Have strongly developed written communication/composition skills and be in good academic standing.
- Be able to attend weekly new consultant training meetings and fulfill new consultant training expectations.
Writing Consultants must...
- Meet with students in one-on-one consultation sessions to help them improve the assignment as well as to develop as writers and students.
- Attend monthly ongoing consultant development meetings, as well as routine one-on-one meetings with supervisors.
- Uphold standards of professional conduct & a professional environment when tutoring and when communicating with other team members.
- Fulfill other job performance duties as stipulated by supervisory staff.
Students interested in tutoring with the Writing Center should follow the steps below:
- Complete and submit the online application.
- Send an updated copy of your unofficial transcript AND resume in PDF form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide an academic writing sample, 6-8 pages in length (longer pieces can be sampled), and send it in PDF form to email@example.com.
- Optional: Applicants may also send a faculty recommendation from an AU professor or one from a previous institution, but this is not required.
Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by Writing Center staff at the beginning of the next hiring cycle.