You are here: American University Provost Academic Affairs Realignment FAQ - Student Questions

Note: The Academic Affairs Realignment has been completed as of July 1, 2021. The information contained in this section of the website will remain available through August 31, 2021. Please contact if you have any questions about the transition.

FAQ - Student Questions

How will this affect students currently enrolled in SPExS programs?

Students will continue to be supported and educated in SPExS programs through the end of the Spring 2021 semester. The University will advise degree seeking students by June 30, 2021 as to which college or school will administer their degree going forward. 

I am enrolled or planning to enroll in a Washington Semester Program (WSP) or Gap. Who will advise me during my semester at AU?

WSP and Gap students will be advised by WSPs program staff operating as part the new Office of Global and Immersive Studies.

Will there be any changes in costs or fees?

On February 22, 2021, the university announced that tuition levels for the fall 2021 semester will not increase.

Will the names of degree or certificate programs change? Will this affect my graduation in Spring 2021?

No. Degree or certificate program names are not expected to change. This will not affect your graduation in Spring 2021.

How will this change the faculty teaching the programs? Will we be aware of faculty changes before Fall 2021 registration?

Instructor assignments will be updated in the registration system as soon as they are known.

Will my academic advisor change?

No. At this time, we anticipate your academic advising will remain unchanged.

I have applied or intend to apply to study abroad for the coming academic year. Do I need to work with a different office?

No. AU Abroad will continue to operate and use the same application procedures while operating as part of the new Office of Global and Immersive Studies.

If I have already earned a degree from SPExS will my degree transfer to the newly designated college or school?

Yes. The University will transfer your degree by June 30, 2020 to the college or school assigned to administer the degree going forward.