The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are designed to provide the AU community with answers to any questions about the Academic Affairs realignment.
If you have a question which is not answered below, please submit a new question to realignFAQ@american.edu and we’ll do our best to update this page with the appropriate information as soon as possible.
- Why is the realignment of Academic Affairs happening now?
- Is this realignment decision the result of COVID-19?
- What will happen to Graduate Professional and Lifelong Learning programs? Will they be moved to a different school?
- What will happen to the Washington Semester Program and Gap Program Internship?
- What will happen to the English Language Training Academy?
- What will happen to the Mentorship program?
- Will any programs be eliminated?
- How is this change compatible with AU's strategic plan?
- How long was this plan under review?
- How will this affect faculty and staff in the SPExS?
- When will faculty and staff be notified of the status of their position?
- What are the expectations of faculty and staff from now until June 30, 2021?
- My school and/or department is gaining a program from SPExS. How will this change the responsibilities of my position?
HR Related Questions for Faculty
- Who should I contact in Human Resources to ask questions?
- Under what circumstances would we be eligible for unemployment?
- How do we apply for Cobra? When should we apply for Cobra? How does AU's Cobra work?
- How long can one stay on Cobra?
- On what date do our benefits end? Will any provisions be made for faculty with 10+ years of experience to extend benefits?
- Is it possible to extend dental, legal, pet insurance, and other benefits not covered by COBRA? If yes, how does this work?
- Are there other benefits that term faculty are eligible for if they have been a full-time AU employee for 10 or 15 or 20 or 25 years?
HR Related Questions for Staff
- I serve in a staff role in one of the impacted areas, when will I know if and what my new assignment will be (including reporting lines)
- How will any changes to my job description and possible transfer be determined?
- Will my compensation change because of a transfer?
- Can I refuse a transfer?
- Will my title change because of a transfer?
- Will I be required to serve a new probation period in my transferred role?
- How will my performance be evaluated?
- Will staff have to reapply for their transferred position within the University?
- If my position is transferred to a new department, when will the new role start?
- What happens if I am not offered a transfer?
- Does AU provide counseling or wellness resources?
- Will there be additional staff-only meetings to discuss the transfer of positions?
- Who can I contact if I have benefits or HR-related questions?
- How will this affect students currently enrolled in SPExS programs?
- I am enrolled or planning to enroll in a Washington Semester Program (WSP) or Gap. Who will advise me during my semester at AU?
- Will there be any changes in costs or fees?
- Will the names of degree or certificate programs change? Will this affect my graduation in Spring 2021?
- How will this change the faculty teaching the programs? Will we be aware of faculty changes before Fall 2021 registration?
- Will my academic advisor change?
- I have applied or intend to apply to study abroad for the coming academic year. Do I need to work with a different office?
- If I have already earned a degree from SPExS will my degree transfer to the newly designated college or school?
Partners: Academic Institutions & related partners, Instructional Program Partners
- Our institution partners with AU in support of student exchange and/or the Washington Semester Program. Does this change our contractual or operational relationship?
- Our organization provides educational services through a partner agreement with SPExS for Professional or Graduate Study programs, how does this impact our daily operations and contract?