TO: American University Community
FROM: Scott A. Bass, Provost
SUBJECT: Carola Weil, Dean, School of Professional and Extended Studies
I am writing to inform you that Dean Carola Weil will be leaving American University after nearly six years as the inaugural dean of the School of Professional & Extended Studies (SPExS). Dean Weil has accepted a position as dean of the School of Continuing Studies at McGill University in Montreal, Canada. Her last day at AU will be June 1, 2018.
As the founding dean of SPExS, Dean Weil worked tirelessly to restructure and stabilize the programs that were formerly under the Washington Semester Program—a program that continues today after 70 years of exemplary service. Under her leadership, SPExS has
- helped establish AU as a recognized provider of high quality, professional education in the metropolitan region;
- expanded outreach to domestic and international partner schools;
- developed new graduate and continuing education programs;
- fostered instructional partnership agreements with universities such as the University of Miami, Brandeis University, and the University of Delaware;
- created six fully online graduate programs; and
- moved SPExS to solid financial footing by making it a Responsibility Centered Management (RCM) unit.
In support of the university’s goal to increase international student enrollment, Dean Weil enhanced the International Gateway Program with greater focus on English language proficiency and transformed it to create the English Language Training Academy (ELTA). Working with the university’s partner, Shorelight Education, the ELTA curriculum is now an integral part of AU’s International Accelerator Program, which enrolls over 200 students annually.
Dean Weil conceived and hosted the SPExS Dean’s Forum for Innovation in Professional Education. This program featured speakers who are field experts on national and international issues and brought thought leaders in design thinking, diverse community engagement, and STEAM education to campus.
Outside of SPExS, Dean Weil is an integral member of the academic leadership team and works closely with other deans on university-wide initiatives. She also serves as an affiliate faculty member in the School of International Service and has mentored colleagues and students across a variety of fields.
Please join me in thanking Dean Weil for her visionary and dedicated service and wishing her a successful transition to her new position at McGill. She will be missed and will always be part of American University.
During this transition, we will conduct an internal search for an interim dean of SPExS.