MemorandumOctober 28, 2021
- AU Students
- Peter Starr, Provost and Chief Academic Officer
Jessica Waters, Dean of Undergraduate Education and Vice Provost for Academic Student Services
Wendy Boland, Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies
- Mid-Semester Announcements
Dear AU Students,
Following President Burwell’s mid-semester update, and as we head into the second half of the semester, we wanted to provide some additional academic information and reminders—and to let you know that we are here cheering you on!
- Please note, on the 2021–2022 Academic Calendar, the last day to withdraw from a course (with a W) or change a grade type is November 5. Our standard Pass/Fail policies are in effect (see undergraduate regulation 3.4 and graduate regulation 3.5). In addition, for undergraduates only, the course repetition and grade replacement policy remains in effect. This allows students to repeat two AU courses taken during their undergraduate study and replace the grades, with only the second attempt being included in the GPA (see undergraduate regulation 4.4).
- We have what we hope will be welcome news for undergraduates about Dean’s List eligibility. In prior years, undergraduate students needed to be enrolled in 15 credits and earn a 3.67 to be eligible for Dean’s List. Beginning in the Fall 2021 semester and moving forward, students will need to be enrolled in 12 credits (A-F grades) and earn a 3.67 to be eligible for Dean’s List (see undergraduate regulation 5.4). We made this change recognizing that there are semesters when students may need or want to take fewer classes due to their schedules, work or family commitments, or wellness—and that working toward this healthy balance does not take away from academic excellence.
- As President Burwell noted, we have a break coming up over the Thanksgiving holiday from Wednesday, November 24 through Sunday, November 28. After the break, classes will continue in their same modality.
- Thinking about finals? Check the final exam schedule.
- Registration for Spring classes is coming up soon! Please remember to check your student account to see if you have any stops that may prevent you from registering for Spring classes. If you have any questions, contact email@example.com.
And finally, a thank you: we are so grateful for how our students have supported the health and safety of our community. To make sure we continue to prioritize our community’s health, the protocols outlined in our AU Forward Fall 2021 Health and Safety Plan remain in effect. Please continue to wear your mask, follow contact tracing instructions, and refrain from attending an in-person class if you are feeling unwell. We’ve asked our faculty to work with any student who needs to miss class because of illness, including providing class materials (for example, class PowerPoints), considering extensions or alternate assignments, and treating medical absences as excused (faculty should not ask for medical documentation). Faculty are not required to allow a student to Zoom into an in-person class session, but may choose to do so.
As you head into the final weeks of the semester, remember to take care of yourself: talk with your advisors and faculty about any challenges you are facing (and share good news as well!) and remember that there are many resources on campus to support you (such as Academic Coaching, Tutoring, and Disability Support Services, Recreational Sports and Fitness, Counseling Center, Kay Spiritual Life Center, affinity spaces and support, and Health Promotion and Advocacy Center).
Take time to rest, consider eating some veggies, and hydrate.
You’ve got this!