First, thank you for being engaged in the student evaluation of teaching. Your feedback helps us improve the quality of your courses and instruction. Each survey takes approximately 5-10 minutes to complete and your responses are kept anonymous. Instructors do not receive individual feedback but instead entire course feedback. Additionally, the feedback does not become available to instructors until after final grades are posted. Below is an overview of the process but if you continue to have questions or concerns please see our student FAQs or email the SET team at Student_SET@american.edu.
Timing of Surveys
- You will receive an email when a survey becomes available for completion which is typically about a week prior to the last day of classes for the term. For most semesters, the survey will remain open until the last day of classes. However, do note that instructors can alter the timing of the surveys to better accommodate their specific course schedule/structure.
- Please note, if you were unable to complete the survey due to it expiring, please contact your instructor directly for an extension. OIRA is unable to provide extensions without the consent of the instructor of the course.
Completing the survey
- When the surveys become available, students will receive automated e-mails with direct links to their surveys; active surveys can also be accessed from the Blackboard homepage, or directly in the Blue portal. In some cases, after you click the link, you will be asked to enter your username and password.
- Students can complete the SET on any web-enabled device, including phones and tablets, but should consider the need to leave written comments, which not all devices accommodate for equally well.
- Students can save their responses without submitting the survey. So long as you have not submitted, you can go back in and edit up until the survey expires. Additionally, you must submit the survey before it expires for your response(s) to be included (the system does not auto-submit responses).
- Students will continue to receive reminder e-mails about un-submitted or un-completed surveys until the survey closes.