AU offers resources to search for funding opportunities for scholarly pursuits. Looking for funding requires crafting tailor-made searches in Pivot, conducting research on Foundation Directory Online (FDO) for prospective funders, and speaking with program officers in various government agencies and foundations.
AU also provides competitive internal research grants to support faculty research, scholarship, professional and creative activities. In addition, curated funding lists, limited submissions, and sabbatical opportunities are disseminated to faculty and staff throughout the year.
- Limited Submissions: A limited/restricted proposal competition is where an extramural funding source specifies a limited or maximum number of proposals or applications that it will accept for funding consideration from a single entity. The funding opportunity outlining this requirement may be called a request for proposals (RFP), request for applications (RFA), or something similar. Such solicitations require AU to have a process in place to select the most competitive application(s) for submission to the sponsor. If an AU employee would like to apply for a limited submission, please contact OSP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Early Career Opportunities: This list contains federal and private funding opportunities that are intended for late postdoctoral investigators and early-career faculty.
- Sabbatical Opportunities: This list contains some popular funding opportunities for faculty who are eligible for a sabbatical.
- Curated Funding List: The Office of Research curates a sampling of funding opportunities from various disciplines through Pivot that may be of interest to faculty members.
Faculty Research Grants
The Office of the Provost provides competitive internal research grants to support faculty research, scholarship, professional and creative activities. All full-time tenured or tenure earning faculty and all term faculty are eligible to submit proposals. The Washington College of Law faculty are also eligible for this particular funding opportunity.
The awards are intended to provide financial support for the direct costs of pilot research studies, demonstration projects, feasibility studies or other forms of proof of concept, to enable faculty members to leverage the results and apply for external funds to support their research, scholarship or creative activities.
- Application Package (For FY20, the application deadline has passed)
CTRL Faculty Grants & Awards
The Center for Teaching, Research & Learning offers faculty awards and grants to support teaching and research. For more information, please go visit their website.