American University adheres to the principle that scientific knowledge developed through animal research helps to improve the understanding of human behavior and pathology. The use of animal models provides a way to gain insight into the etiology and possible treatment of the human condition, alleviating pain and suffering, improving human and animal health and saving countless lives...
* Only the forms linked on these pages will be accepted for review by the IACUC
Please use the forms below for all applications to the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). Forms are in Adobe PDF format, and will require a current version of the reader to save the contents of your forms. Protocols must be approved by the IACUC before animals may be ordered, and before any procedures begin. (All forms updated July 5, 2011.)
Some browsers are experiencing problems with in-browser PDF viewers. Click here for help on saving a file to your computer.
- Protocol for use of Live Vertebrates for Research, Teaching, or Demonstration - For new protocol IACUC applications, 3 -year de novo reviews, or significant changes to a previously approved protocol.
- Administrative Change to an Approved IACUC Protocol - For adding or removing personnel from a previously approved protocol. Change in Principal Investigator should submit a new IACUC application
- Minor Change to an Approved IACUC Protocol - For minor changes including changes in animal strain, gender, numbers, procedures and more.
- Annual Renewal (Continuation) of Approved IACUC Protocol - For the second- and third- year renewal of an approved IACUC protocol. If revisions are requested, a minor change form may be requested as well.
- Application for the Use of Preserved Animals in Teaching - For using preserved vertebrate animals
Qustions and forms should be submitted to the Research Compliance Office, 158 Sports Center Annex. - firstname.lastname@example.org - 202-885-3447.