As a graduate of SIS, you are part of a 20,000-person global alumni network. There are many ways for you to engage with fellow alumni and with current students, and we hope you’ll pick the ones that work best for you.
Students and alumni are encouraged to take advantage of their American University connection to build new, professional relationships. Investing in an AU degree includes leveraging access to the SIS Global Alumni Network. The following 10 easy steps will help you build relationships and connect with SIS classmates and alumni around the world.
- Create a LinkedIn profile.
- Join the American University School of International Service (official) LinkedIn group. If you are a student, your profile must be reviewed by your career advisor prior to being accepted into the online networking group.
- Take advantage of LinkedIn's strong search capabilities to find other alumni.
- Use the Advanced search feature by clicking on advanced at the top of the main landing page next to the search box. Use quotes around "American University" in the school box to find other connections that share the similar school.
- Utilize the Classmate search as another way to find AU alumni.
- The names you find in LinkedIn might not appear in the AU Online Alumni Directory. This could be because their names have changed since they last attended AU. Their LinkedIn profiles may reflect name changes that they have not yet shared with AU.
- The AU Alumni Online Directory's data and results are only has strong as the information alumni provide the university.
- AU cannot guarantee that reaching out to alumni through the AU Alumni Online Directory will generate a response.
SIS students and alumni have many opportunities to interact and network with one another. When you become a student, and later an alumnus/a, you are part of an exclusive network of 20,000+ professionals and resources around the world. Here are just a few of our opportunities:
- Annual SIS Student-Alumni Networking Reception, held every spring.
- Alumni will frequently assist in a career development workshop on networking, resume writing, and public speaking to name a few.
- The official SIS LinkedIn Group connecting students, alumni, faculty and staff. Throughout the semester, the group features SIS alumni in the SIS LinkedIn Mentor of the Week series who answer professional and career development questions posted to the discussion tab.
- Dinner with Alumni – The Dinner with Alumni program brings students with alumni together through a series of dinners scheduled during the school year. These dinners are great career networking opportunities for students to interact with current experts in the field.
- A CASE Circle of Excellence award-winning program alumni are invited to campus to review students’ resumes as part of Resume Review Week: Eagles Helping and Hiring Eagles. The resumes are then distributed to the SIS Global Alumni Networking encouraging SIS alumni eagles to help and hire other eagles.
- Crash a Class – Alumni will surprise a class with pizza and soda as part of our Crash a Class series.
- Alumni are often known to offer current students an opportunity to attend an event or meeting as their guest at their place of employment – really making DC our classroom.
To recruit and hire an Eagle (student or alumnus/a) for a job or internship with your organization, please utilize AU's CareerWeb. Remember, alumni have life-long access to CareerWeb.
If you are an SIS alumnus/a seeking career services, we invite you to schedule an appointment and to learn more about the resources available to you through the SIS Office of Career Development.