Below is information to assist with planning your arrival and participation in the Community of Scholars program. If you still have additional questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The DC metropolitan area is serviced by three airports: Washington Reagan National (DCA), Baltimore Washington International (BWI), and Dulles International (IAD). DCA is the closest airport to AU; however, transportation to campus from all three airports can be arranged with Super Shuttle, car services, or taxis. AU will have staff at DCA on Sunday, July 14, from noon to 4 pm to facilitate group taxis.
Arriving by Car
Please use AU's campus map to locate Letts Hall and nearby parking. We recommend entering campus through Fletcher Gate, which is off Rockwood Parkway. Rockwood Parkway intersects Nebraska Avenue NW.
Arriving by Train
The Amtrak station closest to AU is Union Station, which is a stop on Metro's Red Line. AU is a 20-minute walk to the Red Line's AU/Tenleytown Metro stop. AU shuttles run between AU and the Tenleytown stop every 10 minutes.
You will be staying in doubles or triples in AU's centrally located Letts Hall. The front desk of the dormitory is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We have hired experienced Resident Assistants who will live in the dorms and serve as chaperones. An experienced senior RA will also be living on the floor. The front doors of the dormitory are kept locked at all times; students swipe their access cards every time they enter. WiFi is accessible in the dorms as are laundry facilities. All buildings on campus are air-conditioned.
- Casual summer clothing
- Sweater, sweatshirt, or light jacket
- Several business casual outfits for downtown site visits. Appropriate business casual attire includes khakis/nice pants (no jeans), a shirt, and dress shoes (Sperry's are fine) for boys; nice pants/appropriate skirt or dress, blouse, and sandals or ballet flats (no flip-flops) for girls.
- Comfortable walking shoes (essential)
- Toiletries and bathroom caddy
- Any prescription medications
- Flip flops (for showering)
- Umbrella and/or rainwear
- Photo-ID (license or passport)
- Spending money (for a few off-campus lunches, extra snacks, souvenirs, or personal needs)
- Laptop or tablet (preferable but computers are available on campus)
- Washcloth and soap
- Other linens- optional Note: Letts Hall will provide two flat sheets, a blanket, and towel. However, if you have room in your luggage, you may prefer to pack your own towel and linen sets. The beds are regular twins (not twin XL).
- Sunscreen and bug repellent (optional)
Residential students will be enrolled in a meal plan at AU's Tenley Dining Room (TDR), which is located in the Mary Graydon Center. TDR's hours are the following: Breakfast (7 to 9 a.m.), Lunch (11 a.m. to 2 p.m.), and Dinner (5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.) Students will be given an access card with meal swipes. The card will also have a certain number of "Dining Dollars" which will enable them to eat a few meals at some of AU's other eating establishments. In addition, a few catered meals will be arranged for students. These include the Sunday evening opening picnic, the first day lunch with professors, "International Night," a pizza lunch, and the closing lunch.
Should a student need to be sent anything during the campus segment, please use the following address:
Student Name c/o
Page Hogan, Director of Pre-College Programs
Community of Scholars
School of International Service
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20016-8071
Residential students may check-in to Letts Hall on Sunday, July 12, 2020, between 3 and 5 p.m. We recommend entering campus through Fletcher Gate, which is off Rockwood Parkway. See campus map.
Resident Assistants will be on site to welcome students to assist students with student check-in.
The program concludes on Friday, July 24, with a ceremony beginning at 11:30 a.m., followed by a slideshow and lunch. Parents are invited to attend. Students must check out of their dorms and store luggage in a designated classroom. The closing program will end at approximately 1 pm. Students should plan to leave campus by 3 p.m. AU staff will assist in facilitating departures.
- Check-in at Letts Hall (residential students)
- 3-5 p.m.
- Scavenger Hunt
- 3-6 p.m. (Students in groups of 3 or 4 explore AU campus)
- Icebreakers at SIS
- 6 p.m.
- Picnic dinner on quad near SIS
- 7 p.m.
- Meeting in Letts Hall Lounge
- 9 p.m. (residential students only)