Social Innovation for Global Impact (Graduate Certificate)
Offered by the School of International Service, the Social Innovation for Global Impact (Graduate Certificate) equips students with the knowledge and skills to apply techniques of innovation to social change and activism in a global context, with a special emphasis on human rights, peacekeeping, governance and international development. It has both a curricular and co-curricular component.
Admission to the Program
This certificate is available to students currently enrolled in an American University graduate degree program. It is also open to students with a bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited institution. Applicants must submit their official transcripts along with a one-page statement of purpose.
Non-native English speakers are required to submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) unless they hold a degree from a U.S.-accredited institution before enrollment at SIS. The minimum TOEFL score for full admission consideration is 100 on the Internet-based test (iBT) or 600 on the paper-based test (PBT). The minimum IELTS score is 7.0.
- 12 credit hours of approved graduate work with grades of C or better. Grades of C- or D in certificate program courses are not accepted toward the fulfillment of certificate requirements, although these grades will be included in the calculation of the GPA. Students must have a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA in certificate courses in order to be awarded a certificate. Students in certificate programs must take a minimum of 6 credit hours during each 12-month period and complete the certificate in four years. International students must enroll in 9 credit hours each semester (except for summer). A maximum of 3 credit hours earned at an accredited college or university may be applied toward the certificate as transfer credit
- Complete the SIS Social Innovation Fellows (SIF) co-curricular program
Competence Acquisition (9 credit hours)
Complete 9 credits from the following, or other social innovation-related courses approved by faculty advisor:
- SIS-619 Special Studies in International Politics (1-6) :
Consulting for Social Impact
Innovation for Social Impact
Leading Social Innovation
- SIS-635 Advanced Topics in Development Management (3) : NGO/Social Enterprise Management
- SIS-739 Private Sector Engagement with Social Issues (3)
- SIS-750 Research and Professional Methods in International Affairs (3) : Organizational Effectiveness for International Service
Competence Application (3 credit hours)
Complete 3 credit hours from the following, or other course approved by faculty advisor:
- SIS-693 Practicum: Action Research in Development Management (3)
- SIS-793 Practicum in International Affairs (3) : Social Innovation Practicum
- SIS-795 Master's Research Requirement (1-3) (approved topic)
- SIS-797 Master's Thesis Supervision (1-6)