- PhD, Economics, University of Pittsburgh; MA, Economics, University of Pittsburgh; BA, Economics, Whittier College
- Languages Spoken
- Spanish, Portuguese and Italian
- Book Currently Reading
- "What We Owe: Truths, Myths and Lies About Public Debt," by Carlo Cottarelli, Brookings, 2017.
- Dr. Arturo C. Porzecanski, Distinguished Economist in Residence, is an expert in international finance, emerging markets and Latin American economics. He previously taught at Columbia University, New York University, and Williams College, but is a late arrival to academia, having spent most of his professional career working as an international economist on Wall Street. Dr. Porzecanski was chief economist for emerging markets at ABN AMRO Bank (2000-2005); chief economist for the Americas at ING Bank (1994-2000); chief emerging-markets economist at Kidder, Peabody & Co. (1992-1993); chief economist at Republic National Bank of New York (1989-1992); senior economist at J.P. Morgan Bank (1977-1989); research economist at the Center for Latin American Monetary Studies in Mexico City (1975-1976); and visiting economist at the International Monetary Fund (1973). Since 2006, he carries out and publishes research in international finance; provides consulting services to legal and financial firms, as well as to U.S. government agencies and multilateral institutions; and serves as a Dispute Resolution Arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Open-economy macroeconomics, international economics, international finance, international financial law, emerging markets finance, exchange-rate policies, and Latin American economics.
- "Human Rights and Sovereign Debts in the Context of Property and Creditor Rights," in Sovereign Debts and Human Rights, Oxford: 2018.
- "Debunking the Relevance of the Debt-to-GDP Ratio," in World Economics, January-March 2018.
- "Sovereign Debt Restructuring After Argentina," in Development, June 2016.
- "The Origins of Argentina's Litigation and Arbitration Saga, 2002-2016," in Fordham International Law Journal, 2016.
- "Brazil's Place in the Global Economy," in Brazil on the Global Stage, Palgrave Macmillan: 2015.
- "Borrowing and Debt: How Do Sovereigns Get Into Trouble?," in Sovereign Debt Management, Oxford: 2014.
- "Behind the 2012 Greek Default and Restructuring,” in Sovereign Debt and Debt Restructuring, Globe Business: 2013.
- "Buenos Aires to Athens: The Road to Perdition," in CSIS Americas Program, April 2, 2012.
- "Mexico's Retrogression: Implications of a Bankruptcy Reorganization Gone Wrong," CSIS Americas Program Hemisphere Focus, November 2011.
- "Should Argentina be Welcomed Back by Investors?" World Economics, July-September 2011.
- "Corporate Workouts in Mexico: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," CSIS Issues in International Political Economy, April 2011.
- "When Bad Things Happen to Good Sovereign Debt Contracts: The Case of Ecuador," Law and Contemporary Problems, Fall 2010.
- "Latin America: The Missing Financial Crisis," United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America, October 2009.
- "U.S.-Latin America Relations: A New Direction for a New Reality," Council on Foreign Relations, May 2008 (contributor).
- "The Fixed-Income Market in Uruguay," Bond Markets in Latin America, MIT: 2008 (co-author).
- "The Constructive Role of Private Creditors," Dealing Fairly with Developing Country Debt, Blackwell: 2007.
- "Debt Relief by Private and Official Creditors: The Record Speaks," International Finance, Summer 2007.
- "El Mercado de Renta Fija en Uruguay,"Banco Central del Uruguay Revista de Economia, May 2007 (co-author).
- "Dealing with Sovereign Debt: Trends and Implications," in Sovereign Debt at the Crossroads, Oxford: 2006.
- "From Rogue Creditors to Rogue Debtors: Implications of Argentina’s Default," in Chicago Journal of International Law, Summer 2005.
- Arbitrator, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
- Member, Board of Directors, The Tinker Foundation, 2007-present
- Member, Board of Directors, Washington Office on Latin America, 2005-07
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- ReachingU 2015 Honoree, in recognition of outstanding professional accomplishments and contributions to the widening of educational opportunities in Uruguay, 2015.
- Whittier College Poet Award for Community Impact, in recognition of having become the world's leading patient advocate for those afflicted with Systemic Capillary Leak Syndrome, 2011.
- University of Pittsburgh Legacy Laureate, a formal recognition bestowed to alums with outstanding personal and professional accomplishments, 2005.
Grants and Sponsored Research
- "Latin America: The Missing Financial Crisis," United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America, 2009.
- "Characteristics of Uruguay's OTC Market in Sovereign Bonds," Electronic Stock Exchange of Uruguay (BEVSA), 2008.
- "Financing Possibilities for Honduras and Nicaragua After Debt Forgiveness," Inter-American Development Bank, 2007-08.
- Frequent TV interviews on CNN, CCTV, Bloomberg News, Telemundo and Univisión, and in radio stations and newspapers in the Americas and Europe.
Area of Expertise
International economics, international finance, emerging markets, Latin American economics, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, Puerto Rico, bankruptcy, insolvency
Arturo Porzecanski previously taught at Columbia University, New York University, and Williams College, but is a fairly recent arrival to academia, having spent most of his professional career working as a senior international economist on Wall Street. Porzecanski provides consulting services to legal and financial firms, as well as to U.S. government agencies and multilateral institutions. He has been cited by leading news media outlets, including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Economist, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Bloomberg News, and Dow Jones and has been interviewed by numerous broadcast outlets, including NPR, BBC, CNN, CNBC, and Bloomberg TV.