- Additional Positions at AU
- Faculty Director, School of International Service Honors Program
- PhD, Government, Georgetown University; MA, Foreign Service, Georgetown University; BA, International Studies, University of Washington
- Languages Spoken
- English (native) and Spanish
- Favorite Spot on Campus
- Davenport Lounge
- Book Currently Reading
- The Great Believers
- Dr. Sarah Cleeland Knight is Faculty Director of the SIS Honors Program and Assistant Professor at American University's School of International Service. Dr. Knight's research focuses on international political economy. She is interested in identifying the winners and losers from globalization and tracking how those groups influence foreign economic policy (trade, exchange rates, and sanctions). She also has written on the history of the Bretton Woods institutions and the global politics of the Internet and electronic commerce. Dr. Knight has received funding for her research from the Ford Foundation, DAAD/American Institute for Contemporary German Studies, and Georgetown University. Before coming to American University, she taught at Georgetown University and worked at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, the USDA’s export promotion program, and the international trade office of the Seattle Chamber of Commerce. She lives in Arlington, Virginia, with her husband, Jeff, her two daughters, Grace and Charlotte, and her golden retriever, Nala.
American Political Science Association
International Studies Association
- "Even Today, a Western and Gendered Social Science: Persistent Geographic and Gender Biases in Undergraduate International Relations Teaching." International Studies Perspectives. Oxford University Press. 2019. https://academic.oup.com/isp/article/20/3/203/5528131
- "Electronic Commerce," in Renee Marlin-Bennett, ed. The International Studies Association Compendium Project. Third Edition edition. Co-authored with Catherine L. Mann. Oxford University Press. 2018.
- "Bretton Woods and Monetary Regimes," in Gerard Caprio, ed. Handbook of Key Global Financial Markets, Institutions, and Infrastructure. Elesevier Press. 2013.
- "Globalization and Compensation in Hard Times: The US Trade Adjustment Assistance Program and the Great Recession," Democracy and Society, Vol. 10, Issue 1 (Fall 2012).
- "Divested Interests: Globalization and the New Politics of Exchange Rates," Business and Politics, Vol. 12, Issue 2 (August 2010).