Skip to main content
Expand AU Menu

Undergraduate Advising | SIS

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I register?

Your registration date is based on your completed credits. Your date will show in Student Planning. If there is no date listed, it means your registration time has already begun and you may register now.

How do I know how many completed credits I have?
Your completed credits are listed on your Degree Audit Report (DARS). You can find your DARS in Student Planning under the Progress tab. Your completed credits are shown on the progress bars on the top right of the page.

Do I need to meet with you before I am cleared to register?
Not unless you are on probation, currently taking a leave of absence or planning your courses for your final semester.

How should I prepare for an advising meeting?
Please plan your intended classes in Student Planning and be ready to tell the advisor which requirement each class you want to take is fulfilling. If you have other questions or forms that need to be signed, make sure to bring them with you as well.

What should I take next semester?
Here are some general guidelines to begin your schedule planning. 


Check out the guide to course planning. If you are a Global Scholar, use this version instead. 

In your second term, you should take SISU-140, College Writing Seminar, Elementary II of your language, Math or SISU-106 and ECON-200. If ECON-200 is full, complete a different General Education class. If you finished your language through the Intermediate II level already, you do not need to take an additional language. Take another General Education class instead. 


Register for your remaining General Education classes, your remaining language classes, and SIS-206 this year. If you haven't finished ECON-100 and 200, SIS-105 and SIS-140 take them as well. If you have space, take your US Politics requirement.  


You should be finished with all of the classes in the lists above. Start on your gateway classes and your thematic area(s). In general, nine credits from your study abroad will complete your area specialization. More information on the study abroad approval process is posted here.


You should be finished with most of your requirements. Focus on finishing your thematic area and your capstone.

What do I have to do before going abroad?
In order to study abroad, you must have completed your math and college writing requirements. You must also have completed SISU-206, SISU-306, 8 out of 10 of your general education courses, including a lab science, and at least one course from each of the five Gen Ed areas.  

How do my study abroad classes fit into my major?
Your study abroad courses must be approved before departure as explained here.

I'm graduating in May and I don't know what to take. Help!
If you have not already done so, you must see your advisor prior to registering for your Senior Checkout meeting. We will discuss your remaining requirements at that time.

When can I register for summer classes at AU?
Everyone can register on the first day of the registration period for the fall term.

Can I take summer classes somewhere else?
Math, College Writing and General Education classes need to be taken at AU. A maximum of ten credits total over your four years at AU may be taken at another four year school that is not part of the Consortium of local schools. Prior approval of the courses is required. Please see your advisor for more information.

Is there anything else I should know?

Remember that:

  • All courses for your major, University Math, the College Writing sequence and General Education need to be taken for an A-F grade.
  • Each course you take can only satisfy one major requirement.
  • Students starting after fall 2012 need 18 credits at the 300 level or above in their major.
  • Students starting prior to fall 2012 need 15 credits at the 300 level or above in their major.

Last Update 25 July 2016