- What's Newsworthy
- Learn how to recognize and develop newsworthy angles to your pitches.
- How to Craft a Compelling Pitch
- Learn how to write compelling pitch emails and practice your oral pitching skills.
- Best Practices for Engaging Reporters
- Learn how and when to reach out to reporters to pitch your story ideas.
- How to Use Cision to Develop Media Lists
- Build your resume by earning your Cision certification.
- $595 - Alumni (non-credit)
- $750 - Working Professionals (non-credit)
- $1,642 - For Credit (1 credit)*
*AU Students are required to take this course for credit.
To apply for this course, please complete the non-degree enrollment form.
- If you are taking the course for credit, and are not currently enrolled as an AU graduate student, you will need to submit an unofficial transcript from your undergraduate institution. Please include your unofficial transcript with your application.
- If you are not taking the course for credit, you do not need to submit anything beyond the online application.
- Don't forget to select graduate as the course type.
You may take this course for credit or non-credit. Credit courses are designed for students who are interested in earning college credit toward a degree or certificate. Non-credit courses are not applicable toward a degree. Once you complete the course, you may request a transcript from American University by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
After you have enrolled and completed the course, AU will not be able to switch your course from non-credit to credit.
COMM 096 Media Pitching Skills and Cision Certification
Once your application has been received and accepted, the School of Communication will register you for the course and you will receive confirmation via email.
Payments to your student account are accepted online through the Eagle Service link. This payment option is available on the myAU Portal. After you apply, you will be provided with an AU ID you can use to log in to the AU Portal through at myau.american.edu.
Step-by-step instructions for how to make an online payment.
Please send an email to email@example.com with contact information for your company and/or a financial guarantee letter to arrange billing.
You can find parking information, as well as the location of the McKinley Building, on the campus parking map.
The course will be held in a classroom with computers. If you prefer, you may bring your own laptop.