About the program
After a successful launch last year, MWWPR, one of the world’s leading independent, integrated PR agencies, is once again partnering with American University to sponsor the Z-Suite program. This program is designed to give students the opportunity to provide insights and ideas to MWWPR account teams for existing and future clients. The program gives students exposure to the actual challenges and opportunities PR professionals work on every day. It’s an opportunity for students to get real-world experience virtually while being paid for their ideas and insights.
Thirty-four-years young, MWWPR is among the world’s leading independent, integrated PR agencies with nine offices across the US and the UK. Powered by data and guided by insights, intellect and human instincts, the agency leans heavily into a digitally-led, content-driven approach. Its mission is to ignite influence and impact to help organizations matter more to those who matter most.
With dedicated insights, strategy, data and analytics, digital and content and creative teams, MWWPR’s expertise spans Consumer Lifestyle Marketing, Corporate Communications and Reputation Management, Public Affairs, Issues & Crisis Management, LGBTQ, Technology, Sports & Entertainment, B2B, Food & Beverage and Health & Wellness. In 2018, MWWPR was named Independent Public Relations Consultancy of the Year for Americas by the International Communications Consultancy Organization (ICCO).
American University’s School of Communication is the only professional school in Washington that brings journalism, film, public relations and communication studies together, with an international perspective and a focus on new media and entrepreneurship. SOC empowers undergraduates and graduates in its programs to tell stories that influence change, inspire action, and transform our communities and our world.
What We Need
We are looking for 10 to 15 undergraduate and graduate students, who are SOC majors or minors. This experiential learning opportunity will allow participants to hone their skills and gain a better understanding of the ever-evolving PR industry. Z-Suiters will have the opportunity to work directly with MWWPR associates to receive counsel, feedback and mentoring.
Each month, Z-Suiters will receive three challenges to respond to. You must respond to all three challenges per month to receive the stipend and remain in the program. Each response should be no more than a page.
Z-Suiters who are U.S. citizens will be eligible to receive a stipend of $300/month from October through December. Z-Suiters must respond to a minimum number of three challenges per month to receive the monthly stipend. All participants also will be required to attend a mandatory onboarding meeting prior to the launch of the program.
Undergraduate students will also have the option to take Z-Suite as a one-credit field experience class. Students who decide on this option will need to complete an academic component to receive credit. This will include three mandatory briefings by MWWPR along with a paper on their experience as a Z-Suite participant.
What You Have to Have (Education and Experience Requirements)
- All SOC undergraduate and graduate majors and minors are eligible to apply
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, be an AB-540 student/DACA recipient. International students may also apply but likely cannot be compensated due to VISA requirements
- Historically underrepresented minority students and students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
- Superior oral and written communication skills; proofreading and editing ability
- Maintain a professional, client-ready demeanor and presentation; keep a high standard of etiquette in all communications and interactions
Success Factors and Other Details
- Avid consumer of all forms of news, trends and insights and the ability to apply that knowledge to challenges
- Ability to think strategically, creatively and proactively; exhibit a facility for problem solving, creative and innovative thinking and close attention to detail
- Desire to pursue knowledge and professional development
Applicants should fill out this Qualtrics form to apply. All applications must be received by September 10, 2020. Application materials should be emailed to MWWPR@american.edu. If you are selected for the Fall 2020 cohort, you will need to attend a mandatory training session that will be held virtually on September 24 at 2 pm. If you are an undergraduate student and would like to receive one-credit, you must attend these mandatory briefings as well as complete coursework.
- Thursday, October 8th at 11am: Carreen Winters, EVP Reputation Management & Chief Strategy Officer to present Crisis Communications 101
- Tuesday, November 10th at 10:30 am: Michelle Gordon, SVP, Insights & Analytics to present overview of Insights & Analytics
- Monday, December 7th at 2pm: Adam Selwyn, Chief Creative Officer to present overview of PR Creative
EEO and Diversity Statement
MWW is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. EOE/AA/M/F/V/D.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively “Protected Bases”) in its programs and activities.