The Justice Programs Office at American University announces the availability of six consultant positions on the advisory and training board for its MOSAICS initiative, which is funded by the Office for Victims of Crime (OVC).
MOSAICS (which stands for Maximizing OVC’s Survivor Assistance in Court Settings) is a training and technical assistance project which assists state and local courts in implementing trauma-responsive policies to:
- Better identify survivors of human trafficking who are facing criminal charges;
- Respond to the needs of survivors of human trafficking through tailored social and legal service provisions; and
- Reduce the infliction of harm on survivors of human trafficking facing criminal charges in court proceedings.
Responsibilities: The advisory and training board members will:
- Provide critical guidance to MOSAICS staff on training and technical (TTA) assistance practices and policies.
- Read and provide feedback on written materials.
- With MOSAICS staff and other consultants, provide remote TTA by phone or web meeting to justice professionals, such as attorneys, judges, law enforcement officers, and probation officials.
- With MOSAICS staff and other consultants, provide in-person TTA to justice professionals, such as attorneys, judges, law enforcement officers, and probation officials. Duration of any in-person site visit responsibilities will range from several hours to several days.
- Meet with the MOSAICS advisory and training board by phone or web meeting, once a year.
Attend a meeting in Washington, D.C. with the MOSAICS advisory and training board once a year.
- Survivor of labor trafficking and/or sex trafficking and
- Personal experience as a party in a court proceeding.
- Ability to travel.
- Comfort speaking openly about the trafficking experience and the collateral consequences of court involvement.
- Passion for and/or experience in educating court personnel about best practices when responding to survivors of human trafficking in court settings.
- Experience working collaboratively on written documents.
Individuals will be compensated for their involvement at $81.25/hour on an as-needed basis. All travel and accommodations will be paid for or reimbursed through grant funds.
Individuals interested in the core team role should submit a current resume and a paragraph-long statement of interest to MOSAICS@american.edu by 1:00 p.m. on June 5, 2019. If you are unable to meet one or more of the responsibilities or qualifications listed, please explain.