We are pleased to welcome you to American University and the Gap Program. You will soon be immersed in the nation's capital-the informational capital of the world and one of the most culturally diverse cities in the United States. This web page will guide you through your next steps as you prepare to join your Gap program cohort soon.
To enroll in the AU Gap program, please submit your enrollment deposit of $400 online:
- Create your myau.american.edu account using your AU ID, which can be found in your acceptance email.
- Login to your myAU portal account and go directly to Eagle Finance. Pay your deposit by e-check or credit card.
Please note that this deposit is nonrefundable and will be held in your student account to be credited toward your tuition.
After your deposit has been processed, your advisor will contact you with information on how to register for classes.
Rules and Regulations
Use your myAU username and password to access the AU Gap Consent & Pre-Registration Form. After you have successfully submitted this form, our staff will register you for classes according to your responses.
Finding an Internship
Our office will provide tools to assist you in finding an internship. Some students will arrive at orientation with an internship, but many will not. On the first day of classes, an internship fair will be held to assist in your internship search.
To begin your internship search, you will need to first prepare/update your resume. The average employer spends 5-7 seconds reviewing a resume, so it is important that yours is sharp, clean, with no typos, and represents your experience and skills.
All gap students are required to have a resume reviewed by AU Gap staff by sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org with " Resume Review" as the subject line.
Upload Your Profile
After your resume has been approved, you will receive access to the AU Gap Internship Database. After your resume has been approved, we encourage you to upload a copy to your profile in the Internship Database as employers often use the system to directly look at resumes.
- 1st Friday in month 10 a.m. (EST)
- 2nd Thursday in month 12 p.m. (noon EST)
- 3rd Wednesday at 2 p.m. (EST)
- 4th Tuesday at 9 p.m. (EST)
- 5th Monday at 10 a.m. (EST)
How to Join the Meeting
Please RSVP 24 hours or more in advance.
What We Cover
Each weekly online internship advising session will start with a 5-10 minute presentation about career development and internships. Then, students can ask questions about internships. Topics will vary based on season, trends, interests, and programs.
AU Gap students live on American University's campus in Leonard Hall.
Dining & University Meal Plans
Purchase of a meal plan is required for all AU Gap students living on American University's campus.
For students not required to purchase a meal plan, AU EagleBuck$ can be used at a number of off-campus eateries as well as on-campus. It is possible to purchase EagleBuck$ without purchasing a meal plan; unused EagleBuck$ are refundable at the end of the semester, however unused meal swipes are not refundable. Purchase EagleBuck$.
For more information about Housing and Dining Services, including details about current costs and amenities, visit their homepage.
Health Insurance Requirements
AU Gap students must purchase American University Health Insurance or verify that their own alternative insurance meets the coverage requirements listed below.
Purchase AU Health Insurance
Students are automatically enrolled into the American University Health Insurance program after their registration has been processed by the AU Gap Program staff.
If you would like to waive the AU Health Insurance because you already have comparable insurance, see instructions below.
AU Health Insurance Premiums
- Fall 2018
Effective August 1 through December 31, 2018 for students who completed the Enrollment Form
Effective September 27 through December 31, 2018 for auto-enrolled students
- Spring & Summer 2019
Effective January 1, 2019 – July 31, 2019
- Full Year 2018-2019
Effective August 1, 2018 – July 31, 2019
AU Health Insurance Benefit Details
Below is American University health insurance information you can use to compare your current insurance with the insurance plan offered by American University:
- Overall Plan Maximum
- There is no overall maximum dollar limits on the policy
- $200 In Network; $500 Out of Network
- 80% In Network; 60% Out of Network
- Out-of-Pocket Maximum
- $6,350 per insured person, per policy year
- Pharmacy Benefits
- $10 generic, $35 brand, $50 for non-formulary, mail order option
- Emergency Coverage Overseas
- Medical Evacuation
- Coverage while in Washington, D.C.
- Emergency Coverage Overseas
- Students can look online to find U.S. providers
Alternate Health Insurance
- Alternate insurance plans must be provided by a company licensed to do business in the United States, with a U.S. claims payment office and a U. S. Phone number.
- Company must have a process to remit claim costs to providers within the U.S.
- Alternate insurance plans must provide coverage for both in-patient and out-patient medical care in the Washington, D.C. area, including but not limited to routine care, specialist office visits, diagnostic testing and imaging.
- Alternate insurance plans must provide for both in-patient and out-patient mental health care in the Washington, D.C. area.
- Alternate insurance plans must not limit coverage to Emergency or Urgent medical or mental health care in the Washington, D.C. area.
- Alternate insurance plans must not have a maximum dollar limit that the insurance will pay for medical claims.
- Alternate insurance plans must not exclude coverage for the following:
- Pre-existing conditions (or the plan must have been in effect long enough that any waiting period has passed).
- Conditions related to depression, eating disorders, suicide attempts or counseling, and drug or alcohol counseling/treatment.
- Congenital and non-congenital mental health conditions.
- Sports injuries, alcohol-related injuries or conditions, pregnancies, eating disorders.
Waive AU Health Insurance
If your plan meets the above requirements, you can waive the AU student health insurance.
- Visit https://studentcenter.uhcsr.com/american
- Click on the 2017-2018 American University Waiver Form
- Enter your AUID number and date of birth
- Follow the on-screen prompts and answer the required questions.
- Enter the required insurance information and submit your waiver.
The student health insurance premium will be removed from your student account. Once the insurance waiver has been approved, you will receive a confirmation email. It is imperative that you save and print a copy of this email.
Frequently Asked Question
What happens if I tried to enter my AU ID and Date of Birth, but was unable to login to the Waiver System?
If you are unable to enter the waiver system, you can check your account activity under Eagle Finances in your myAU Portal to ensure that you have been assessed the student health insurance charge. If you have recently been assessed the health insurance charge, you may need to wait up to 48 hours to submit your health insurance waiver.
American University offers Allianz Tuition Insurance provided by GradGuard™, a service of Next Generation Group.
- Flexible coverage up to $50,000
- Cost of insurance depends on amount of coverage purchased
- Price is based on cost of non-refundable tuition, fees, room and board
- Insurance is paid directly to GradGuard and cannot be added to AU student account.
- Insurance must be purchased BEFORE the first day of classes.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions
- For complete information and quote – visit the GradGuard website.
All students under age 26 (except for students who meet statutory requirements for exemption based upon religious or medical reason) must provide proof of the below listed immunizations prior to registration.
Students from overseas should note that all required vaccinations will need to be up-to-date before enrolling in American University, even if the stated vaccinations are not required in your home country.
Documenting Your Immunizations
Mandatory Immunization Form
The Mandatory Immunization Form is the only form that will be accepted as proof of vaccination and must be submitted directly to the Student Health Center. Incomplete information or invalid dates on this form will prevent you from being allowed to attend classes.
- Please first obtain any needed immunizations.
- Then download, print and complete the form below with your medical provider.
- Upload your form at american.studenthealthportal.com via Document Uploads, and remember to keep a copy for your records.
- One Tetanus and Diphtheria booster given within the past ten years. (Tdap is recommended)
- Two vaccinations against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), given after age one and at least 30 days apart.
- Two vaccinations against Varicella (Chickenpox) given at least 30 days apart, or a history of Chickenpox verified by titer results. DC requires two doses of the Varicella vaccine regardless of the age the student was first vaccinated.
- Three vaccinations against Hepatitis B, dose 2 given thirty days after dose 1, dose 3 given four months after dose 2.
- Any first year student living in university sponsored housing must be immunized against Meningitis or sign a waiver stating they have read and understand the risks of the disease and do not wish to be immunized.
- Any student under the age of 18 must show proof of being vaccinated against Polio.
- If you have received immunizations that do not fall into the immunization schedule above (for instance receiving an immunization a week early or a month late) you will need to provide proof results showing immunity.
Religious or Medical Exemption
- Religious exemption is allowed if a religious leader provides a detailed letter indicating that the immunizations violate his or her parishioner's religious beliefs.
- Medical exemption is allowed if a medical professional provides a detailed letter indicating that immunizations are medically inadvisable.
- Both kinds of letters should be addressed to the President of American University, as head of the institution and emailed to email@example.com.
Life at AU
- AU Academic Calendar
- AU Recreational Sports & Fitness
- AU Shuttle Information
- Center for Community Engagement Services
- Club Sports
- ID Card Photo Submission
- Katzen Arts Center
- Religious Services Schedule
- Student Activities and Clubs
- Technology Information for Students
- What to Bring Checklist