The American University Gap Program is designed for students who have recently completed high school and are searching for a meaningful and challenging experience before formally starting college.
A Balance of Academics and Experiential Learning
The AU Gap Program is an academic program, with an experiential internship, in which students intern 3-days per week with an organization in Washington, DC. Students are also enrolled in 7 credits of college level classes, comprised of an academic seminar and internship course at American University.
A Diverse and Active Campus
As an AU Gap student, you will be part of a student body representing more than 130 countries and all 50 states. AU's campus is alive with activity: plays, concerts, films, residence hall social activities, intramural sports, fitness programs, community service and over 200 clubs. Every semester, visiting writers, artists, journalists, and political leaders come to campus to give readings and speeches or lead seminars and workshops.
100% Success Rate
100% of AU Gap alumni have continued their college careers. Alumni have further pursued their education at the following schools:
- American University
- Auburn University
- Bates College
- College of the Ozarks
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Harvard University
- James Madison University
- Kenyon College
- McGill University
- New York University
- Sewanee--University of the South
- Southern Methodist University
- University of Chicago
- University of Mississippi
- University of Richmond
- University of San Diego
- University of St. Andrews
- University of Vermont
- Villanova University
- Wooster College
Is AU Gap the program for you?
- Do you want to earn college credit and have a college transcript at the end of your Gap experience?
- Do you want to gain internship experience and explore your interests?
- Can you balance the commitments of an internship (approximately 21 hours per week) and college level courses at the same time?
- Can you adapt to a new environment away from home?
- Does the program align with your academic or career goals?
- Self-assess your maturity and responsibility, as you will have commitments to a professional work environment and to college courses.