Imagine spending two days a week at BBC News, or at Rock the Vote, or even at the US Senate. Think of how the experience could impact your understanding of world issues, how it might change your outlook on your major, or what it could mean for your future. When you join the Washington Mentorship Program, this can happen!
During the semester, you will have a Mentored Field Practicum (MFP) or internship for two days each week. To support your internship, you will be enrolled in a Mentored Field Practicum course, with a professor who will guide you on your internship.
In the MFP class, you read professional articles, write papers, and keep a journal. Additionally, you will meet with your professor regularly to discuss your internship practicum. The end result: You gain the skills, experience, and professional development that will serve as a foundation for future internships and even your career.
You will be ready to find an internship
Regardless of your intended major, you should find an internship that fits your interests.
While some students may secure an internship over the summer, most students will find their internship after they arrive at AU in August. Given our 15+ years of advising freshman students in internship searches, approximately 90% of students have an internship within the first 3 weeks of the semester.
However, that achievement is the result of a lot of summer prep work between program staff and students, along with focused internship searches by students - after they arrive at AU in August.
For a student to have a successful internship search, active student engagement is necessary over the summer and upon arrival in DC. Here is a timeline of how students are prepared for their internship search and guided in the search process:
- Program staff advise students on the resume and cover letter so students are resume-ready by arrival in August
- Access to the internship database after resumes are approved by program staff
- Internship search advising with professor and program staff
- Internship Fair
- Student conducts internship search/interviews
- One-on-one meetings with Mentored Field Practicum professor
Throughout fall semester
- Individual meetings with Mentored Field Practicum professor
- MFP class meetings
2017 Internship Sites
- 1776 Startup Incubator
- American Red Cross
- Black Student Fund Council of Insurance Agents and Brokers
- Democratic National Committee
- Embassy of Panama
- EmeraldPlanet & The EmeraldPlanet TV
- First Book Publisher Relations
- InterFather Conference of Metropolitan Washington
- IONA Senior Services
- Library of Congress
- Mil Mujeres Legal Services
- National Museum of the United States Navy
- PBS' To the Contrary
- Republican National Committee
- Smithsonian Institution
- Spina Bifida Association
- St. Columba's Nursery School
- US Department of Justice
- US Small Business Administration
- Youth for Understanding