Please note that this is a rapidly evolving situation, and American University is working hard to respond to student and family inquiries. Answers to a broad range of frequently asked questions are consistently being updated for the AU community on the main AU COVID-19 FAQ page.
Summer 2020 FAQs
Fall 2020 FAQs
American University announced its fall plan, AU Forward, on June 16. You can read about the details of this plan here. We are communicating details about how the Washington Semester Program fits into this plan to deposited students and partner institutions by email and webinar. You may reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions.
- The final deposit deadline for students from international home schools needing visa support is May 15.
- The final deposit deadline for students from U.S. home schools or who are U.S. citizens is July 15.
- Tuition: The last day to withdraw from the fall semester for a 100% tuition refund is September 7th.
- Housing: In previous years, the last day to cancel university housing for a 100% refund has been before move-in day. The policy for the fall 2020 semester has not yet been determined.
- Meals: In previous years, the last day to cancel a university meal plan for a 100% refund has been two weeks after the first day of classes. The policy for the fall 2020 semester has not yet been determined.
- Cancellation: If the situation changes and the University needs to cancel the fall 2020 Washington Semester Program before the semester begins, we will refund your deposit and cancel any relevant charges.
- Entry: The U.S. State Department has currently suspended visa services in most countries until further notice. If visa services are not resumed in time for you to apply for the J-1 visa, we will refund your deposit and cancel relevant charges. If visa services are resumed but your visa application is denied, please contact WSP staff email@example.com.