The Washington Semester Program isn't just an opportunity for students to intern in Washington, DC for the semester. It's a unique opportunity to be part of a global network of doers, thinkers, innovators, and change-makers. Through intensive academic seminars at American University and specially-tailored internship opportunities throughout DC, students apply their newfound knowledge to the real world - day in and day out. Truly, the city is their classroom, and WSP is their gateway to professional and academic excellence.
No matter what your academic interests, you’ll find the ideal internship with guidance from our Experiential Education team. Our program has placed students in internships for over 70 years, ranging from government to nonprofit organizations and established corporations to start-ups around the region. We are positive that your internship will fit your goals.
Your internship through the Washington Semester Program won’t just be answering phones and filing. You will gain substantive real-world skills while doing rewarding work as a member of your organization. In addition, you will expand your network and acquire valuable experience that distinguishes you from other students at your home college and in future positions.
Your seminar is not just a lecture! At AU’s Washington Semester Program, you will spend two days a week with your professor, who will introduce you to new concepts and challenge your perspectives. You will have the opportunity to meet with respected experts, either as guests in the classroom or on-site visits to their organizations in the DC area.
- Earn 12-17 American University credits that you transfer back to your home university.
- Learn from guest speakers who are at the top of their fields.
- Benefit from site visits to Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, NGOs, and international nonprofit organizations.
- Intern at a diverse range of organizations, government agencies, businesses, or Fortune 500 companies in the DC-area.
- Unsurpassed experience working with college students coming to DC for internships.
- Professional internships, in which you will gain practical knowledge of a career field.
- Comprehensive career guidance toward solidifying your career plan.
- Individual feedback on your resume, LinkedIn profile, and professional correspondence.
- Guided training on communication and navigating professional events.
- International and DC connections by way of your internship and networking events.
- Opportunities to make personalized connections with professional mentors.
- Access to AU events, such as Orientation, an internship fair, and Professional Development Day.
- AU student services & resources and living on campus.
Kami Simmons, a recent graduate from Columbia Journalism School, is a WSP alumna. From interning at the Obama White House, to interning at CNN and Voice of America, she's a self-proclaimed "Renaissance Woman."
Hear the alumni story of Dr. Joseph Young, an AU Associate Professor and Washington Semester Program alum! He sheds light on the benefit of experiential learning for DC-based college students in today's world.
Click brochure to enlarge.
First established in 1947 making it one of the first programs of its kind
Top Majors: Political Science, Economics, Business, International Relations, and Journalism
Students from 15 different countries
After a day at her internship @uscapitol in the Cannon House Office building, WSP student Reilly [@rilesliz] bumped into @AOC 😱as she was coming from an interview w/ @NPR about the Green New Deal! #AnotherDayinDC #DCisOurClassroom pic.twitter.com/RBwLk5RGVm— Washington Semester (@WSPIntern) February 8, 2019
View this post on Instagram
#InstagramTakeover: Hello Instagram! I am Antonia and I will be taking over this week! I am a senior at @Rider_University in New Jersey double-majoring in #CriminalJustice and #Sociology. I will be graduating this May with my Bachelor's. I am in the justice and law concentration for the Washington Semester Program here. This semester I am interning at Community Family Life Services. Stay tuned for some more about me the rest of this week!⠀ ***⠀⠀ Every day this week, follow Antonia on Instagram as she lives, learns, and interns in the nation's capital!⠀ ***⠀⠀ Antonia's Blog: tinyurl.com/AntoniaWSP⠀⠀ ***⠀⠀ More about WSP: american.edu/Washsem⠀⠀ ***⠀⠀ #InstaTakeover #Monday #Intern #AmericanUniversity #WashingtonSemesterProgram #WashingtonSemester #SemesterinWashington #WSP#Senior @AU_SPExS #CommunityFamilyLifeServices #RiderUniversity #NewJersey @AmericanUniversity #Washington #WashingtonDC⠀
A post shared by Washington Semester Program (@wspintern) on