Admission steps and requirements depend on whether you attend a partner school. Please confirm your partner school status and follow the steps below.
Apply early for better access to competitive internships.
- March 1
- Preferred application deadline
- March 15*
- Preferred deposit deadline
- May 15
- Final application deadline
- May 31*
- Final deposit deadline
*Should an international student be unable to move forward with obtaining their visa due to COVID-19, restrictions on international travel, or domestic immigration policy, the WSP team will fully refund that student's deposit and program fees that have been paid.
NOTE: WSP respects each partner’s home school deadline. Partner universities should consult with Terrell Austin firstname.lastname@example.org to review special circumstances.
- Decide if you want to attend the non-credit Washington Semester option or the credit-bearing program. Note that 2020-21 tuition for the non-credit program is $8,500, and tuition for the credit-bearing program is $18,953 (it is reduced by 25% from the prevailing AU undergraduate tuition rate for students from international partner institutions).
- Do you attend a partner institution? Do you know your home school WSP partner representative? If you’re unsure, email email@example.com or call 202-895-4900 to find out.
- If you attend a partner school, contact your home school’s WSP partner representative to discuss your program options - Washington Semester credit-bearing program or the non-credit program. If you select the non-credit program, work with your school representatives to understand how your university will count the Washington Semester non-credit program on your home school transcript or mark sheet.
- Your partner representative will explain the application requirements to apply to the Washington Semester Program. Complete your home school’s requirements.
- Once you have completed your home school requirements, create an account.
- Apply to the correct program. If you want the non-credit program, select: Washington Semester Program International Non-Credit. For the credit bearing program, select Washington Semester Program International. Please use care in deciding and selecting between the credit bearing and non-credit programs. We cannot change your program after an offer of admission is extended.
- After you have created an account, complete the application.
- After you have submitted the first portion of your application, you must return to your account and complete supplemental items (once you refresh the page, supplemental items should be an option).
Note: Your application will not be considered until you have submitted the required supplemental items.
- Unofficial university transcript
- Nomination from your home school - noting if you have been approved for the credit bearing or non-credit program option
- Unofficial copy of proof of English Fluency
Minimum scores for admission to the Washington Semester Program are:
- Paper Based TOEFL
- Internet Based TOEFL
- 80 (Minimum of 18 on Speaking & Listening)
*Please note: Students submitting a CEFR level as proof of English proficiency may be asked to submit additional documentation. Students submitting a CEFR level as documented via IELTS scores must have a 6.5 or higher in the IELTS to meet the eligibility requirement.
**American University is accepting Duolingo results temporarily due to Covid-related test administration issues.
If you do not meet the above-noted minimum scores, we strongly encourage that you enroll in the English Training Language Academy (ELTA) for one semester prior to joining Washington Semester. Upon successful completion of the ELTA program, you will progress to the Washington Semester Program (entering the program you applied to - the credit program or non-credit certificate program). To qualify for ELTA, your minimum scores must be:
- Internet Based TOEFL
Please submit all supplemental items either electronically (upload with your application) or via mail:
Mail Via United States Postal Service (USPS):
School of Professional & Extended Studies
Office of Enrollment
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20016-8124
Mail Via Courier Service (UPS, FedEx, DHL):
Office of Enrollment
4801 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016-8001
Currently, the Summer Internship Program is only available to US applicants.