The Staff Council is an elected body of more than 20 full-time and permanent part-time AU staff which represent staff across campus and bring staff concerns to the administration.
Nominations can be submitted by the person intending to run for Staff Council, or by any colleague who nominates them. All AU full-time and permanent part-time staffer will receive a campus-wide email notifying them that the nomination period has opened. The annual nomination period generally runs in May and June and elections follow, running from mid- to late June. Elected members are notified late June and results are announced to campus in early July.
Duration of Commitment
Elected members who agree to join Council are asked to serve a two-year term. Following the 2-year term, elected members have the option to run for reelection and undergo a second 2-year term (if re-elected in subsequent election).
Staff Council Meetings
Staff Council members are required to attend its meetings. Staff Council meets twice a month- every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month. Meetings run from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM.
Time & Service Commitments
In addition to consistently attending Staff Council meetings, each Council member member is required to participate and assistance in the coordination of at least one Staff Council-hosted event each fiscal year. Every member of Council will also serve on internal Council committees, as well as on larger campus-wide committees and project teams.
Staff Council has 5 standing committees that all full-time and permanent part-time staff of the university are welcome to join:
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee: Coordinates and guides the Staff Council’s work on issues of Diversity and Inclusion on campus – particularly as they affect American University staff members. This committee is responsible for both coordinating ongoing projects and responding to individual incidents or situations that affect the American University Community.
- Service Committee: Coordinates community assistance (book/media swap, prom dress drive, professional clothing drive, etc.) and fundraising efforts, of both regular (blood drives, annual turkey drive, dollar challenge, etc.) and emergency (disaster relief) nature.
- Strategic Communications Committee: Oversee the website, social media, and all outgoing communications from the Council to the AU community.
- Staff Development & Recognition Committee: Plan events such as receptions, conferences, and other leadership and professional development opportunities. This committee will also coordinate recognition and community building events for Staff Council members and the wider staff community.
- Staff Experience Committee: Responsible for responding to the shifting needs of the Staff Council, this committee will work to address issues affecting staff brought to us by members or the wider staff population. The committee will develop outreach and plans to address issues or route them to other units as needed.
Reach out to us at email@example.com to be connected to the current committee chair to learn more.