Student clubs are recognized through the Center for Student Involvement and supported and funded through the undergraduate Club Council. Clubs at American University are student-led groups that provide programming for the benefit of currently enrolled students. Formally recognized organizations are eligible to receive student activity fee funds allocated through the Club Council.
AU Club Council or AUCC mission is made up of a lead team, club consultants, and an outreach coordinator. Learn more about American University Club Council.
Meet the AUCC Team 2023-2024
Chair: Whit Ford
Finance Director: Emma Southern
Marketing & Outreach: Sebastian Mahal
Club Consultants: Christiana Jemiri, Kendel Braboy, Makinsey Hamblin
Annual Renewal 2023
What is Annual Renewal?
Annual renewal is the process CSI uses for recognized student organizations to continue recognition for the new year. This year we have opened the registration early to allow clubs to take the opportunity to be active for the next following year prior to the end of the semester. If you do not renew, your organization will have to wait to register for Annual Renewal in Spring 2024.
Annual Renewal is in 3 phases: Re-Register, Club Training, & Involvement Fair/Week of Welcome.
What is a frozen club?
Clubs are frozen when they do not complete annual renewals. Frozen clubs cannot host events, receive funding, or complete any financial transactions. If you are a frozen club, you can complete next year’s annual renewal to regain active status. If your club is frozen for 2 years, you will have to become recognized again via the new club registration process.
When is Annual Renewal?
- Phase 1 of the annual renewal, Re-Registration, will be from April 3-July 3.
- Phase 2 Club Training will be from June 1- August 1.
- Phase 3 will be August 14-27th.
Do I have to complete all 3 phases to complete renewal?
Phases 1 and 2 are mandatory for all clubs and organizations. Phase 3 is engaging with interested students, recruiting new members, and preparing for the year.
Phase 1: Re-Registration
Only the person who will be considered the primary contact should submit. This person can be your president or another officer.
To Get Started: Click on your club or organization then click the "Manage Organization" button on the top right-hand corner of the page. Then you will be brought to the Action Center page, click on the blue button that says "Re-Register". Follow all steps.
The form must be completed for annual renewal recognition with the Center for Student Involvement by the new extended deadline.
Any student organization that does not complete Re-Registration is no longer active as of Tuesday, July 26 at Midnight.
To complete Re-Registration, follow the steps below:
1) Review the following web tutorials:
Introduction to ENGAGE
Building and Managing Your Organization's Roster
2) Confirm or update the following information:
Student Primary Contact
3) Manage your club roster:
Remove any graduated students and/or non-members from your roster.
Add your executive board members.
These are the required positions: President, Treasurer, & EMS Requestor
Add and/or confirm Club Faculty/Staff Advisor
All student clubs must have a minimum of 8 student members in your roster (excluding the Club Faculty/Staff Advisor)
More details about Phases 2 and 3 will be available later.
If you or someone you know is interested in starting a new club at American University, applications will be available on Engage on Monday, September 18, and they will be due by Sunday, October 15. This process is for undergraduate and graduate students looking to start an organization and gain recognized status with the Center for Student Involvement. Organizations that are approved will receive active status in the Spring 2024 semester.
Requirements for starting a club include:
- Being a current full-time student at American University
- Attending one (1) of the following information sessions offered by CSI:
- A club mission that explains what this organization contributes to the campus community- be sure to be mission-driven, not event-driven!
- An approved club constitution
- Please use the Sample Constitution that is provided by CSI as a starting point for your club's constitution.
- If the club is approved, the club's president is required to participate in a club constitution review session with their CSI Advisor. By submitting the constitution for review, the President is acknowledging that edits may be required and that they are willing to collaborate with CSI to ensure the club's constitution is up to standard.
- A full-time AU faculty/staff advisor
- A roster of at least 8 members, including a President and Treasurer
- Accessible to all AU students
CSI and the respective Governance Board will use the following criteria in making their decision:
- What are the risks associated with your activities?
- Does a similar club to the proposed idea already exist?
- Is the proposed club AU student-focused?
- Has the proposed organization met the minimum requirements for recognition?
Club approval will be provided by Friday, November 3rd. If approved, a representative from your organization must complete the following new club training:
- CSI Orientation (11/6-11/10)
- CSI Finance Training (11/13-11/17)
- Programming: How to Put on a Successful Event (pre-recorded, released on 11/20, and to be completed by 12/1, in consideration of the Thanksgiving break)
- Meet Your Governance Board (in-person, 11/27-12/1)
Training will be a mix of prerecorded sessions and live virtual or in-person sessions. Details, including specific dates and formats, will be provided upon approval.
If denied, interest groups can submit an appeal within 10 days of receiving the denial message via the Engage Appeal Form. Details will be provided via email.
For questions, contact Maura Fox at firstname.lastname@example.org.