Skip to main content

Office of Finance and Treasurer News

On Campus

AU to Stop Issuing Paper Checks

Beginning in February 2012 the Payroll Office will stop printing paper paychecks.

Currently 85 percent of AU paychecks are distributed through direct deposit. The remaining 15 percent — about 880 checks a month — use more than 10,000 envelopes and pieces of check stock each year, according to the Office of Finance and Treasurer.

As part of its ongoing initiative to implement more sustainable practices, beginning in February 2012 employees who receive paper paychecks will be paid through direct deposit, or automatically be issued a TotalPay Card, a plastic card similar to a debit card to which each month’s pay will be added electronically.

Payroll staff will have a table in the Mary Graydon Center lobby on November 17 from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. to answer questions about the new green payroll initiative.

Staff from the on-campus branch of Capital One Bank also will be available to answer questions about their employee banking program and set up appointments for employees who want to open a bank account with Capital One. They will be in the Mary Graydon Center lobby from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on:

  • November 17
  • December 6
  • January 5
  • January 18
  • January 25