Department of Psychology
- Dr. McCarthy came to American University in 1969 as lecturer, and has been promoted to assistant professor, associate professor, and now professor. He teaches an undergraduate course each semester -in the Fall Human Sexual Behavior and in the Spring Psychology of Well-Being. He has published over 75 professional articles, 20 book chapters, and co-authored 12 book for the lay public on topics of relationships and sexuality. He has presented over 300 professional workshops both nationally and internationally.
DegreesPhD, Psychology, Southern Illinois University
MA, Psychology, Southern Illinois University
BA, Loyola University Chicago
Partnerships & Affiliations
Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Human Sexuality, Sex Therapy, Relapse Prevention of Marital and Sexual Problems, Primary Prevention of Marital and Sexual Problems
- McCarthy, B. & Metz, M. (2008). The "Good Enough Sex" Model: A case illustration. Sexual and Relationship Therapy, 23 (3), 227-234.
- McCarthy, B. & Thestrup, M. (2008). Integrating sex therapy interventions with couple therapy. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, 38, 139-149.
- McCarthy, B., Ginsberg, R., & Cintron, J. (2008). Primary prevention in the first two years of marriage. Journal of Family Psychotherapy, 19(2), 143-156.
- McCarthy, B. & Thestrup, M. (2008). Couple therapy and the treatment of sexual dysfunction. In A. Gurman (ed.). Clinical Handbook of Couple Therapy (4th edition), (pp. 591-617). New York: Guilford.
- McCarthy, B. & McCarthy, E. (2009). Discovering Your Couple Sexual Style. New York: Routledge.
Partner, Washington Psychological Center
In 2008, presented 18 all day professional workshops, 9 conference presentations, and four day training for American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- ABPP-Clinical Psychology
- Certified Marital Therapist
- Diplomate in Sex Therapy
Area of Expertise: Sexual function, dysfunction and trauma, male sexuality, marital sexuality, marital enhancement, prevention of marital dysfunction
Additional Information: Barry McCarthy and his wife, Emily, authored Rekindling Desire: A Step by Step Program to Help Low-Sex and No-Sex Marriages (Brunner/Routledge, 2003), Getting It Right the First Time: Creating a Healthy Marriage (Brunner/Routledge, 2004), and Getting It Right This Time: How to Create a Loving and Lasting Marriage (Brunner/Routledge, 2005). McCarthy is the coauthor, with Michael Metz, of Coping With Premature Ejaculation and Coping With Erectile Dysfunction (New Harbinger, 2003, 2004), which won the Society for Sex Therapy and Research Award as the best consumer book of the year in 2007. McCarthy and Metz also authored Men's Sexual Health: Fitness for Satisfying Sex (Routledge, 2007). McCarthy's book Discovering Your Couple Sexual Style (Routledge, 2009) won the Marriage Impact Award from the Smart Marriages Coalition. In September, 2010, Routledge published Enduring Desire,a book he also coauthored with Michael Metz.
To request an interview please call AU Media Relations at 202-885-5950 or submit an interview request form.