School of Communication
Additional Positions at AUTeam member, Middle States Commission on Higher Education
Former Chair, University Senate
Member, Sexual Harassment Workshop
- Jill Olmsted is a full-time professor of Journalism and the former Journalism Division Director. She worked as an on-air television and radio news anchor, reporter, and editorialist as well as a producer, editor, photographer, and news manager for stations around the country. She covered local, national and international news events on issues that included national political conventions, the Pope’s U.S. visit, U.S. Open Golf Championships and a terrorist attack in Israel. She also worked as a Washington, D.C. correspondent for nationally syndicated programs, covering the White House and federal agencies. She also provides media training for law enforcement and government agencies and writes about media issues.
DegreesBA Journalism, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis; MA Journalism and Public Affairs, American University
- DOWNLOAD FULL BIO (PDF)
- DOWNLOAD CV (PDF)
- SOC - School of Communication
- McKinley - 321
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Partnerships & Affiliations
- COMM-535 Special Topics in News Media: Voice & Presentation Commun
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Voice overs for PSA’s for the National Association of Broadcasters
- Washington Correspondent, WGN-Radio "WEEKEND FARMING AMERICA," syndicated.
- Editorialist: WRC-AM Radio, Washington, D.C.
- Audiocassette: "Vocal Expressiveness" Writer, voice talent; audio training tape for news voice delivery
- The Presidential Debates, SNL Financial
- Death of Adjunct Faculty Member in India, Fox 5 News www.youtube.com/watch
- Meet the Press Host David Gregory, SNL Financial
- Mary Cheney’s privacy sparks a journalism debate, chron.com,
- Media coverage of Scooter Libbey Trial WUSA TV
- Ruppert Murdock buying the Wall Street Journal, Sky News
- ABC News Response to wounding of anchor Bob Woodruff. Hollywood Reporter, Reuters
- Entertainment Weekly, ABC News, Yahoo News
- Benjamin Ladner, WAMU-Radio, Gazette Newspapers
- Cell Phone video, WRC-TV
- Internet News, WRC-TV
- Journalism Division Director, School of Communication, American University, Washington, D.C.
- Associate Division Director, Weekend Program Director, School of Communication
- Chair, University Senate, American University
- Member, University Council, American University
- Member, Middle States "Leadership, Governance and Administration Task Force, American University
- Evaluator, APEL (AU Gateways), American University
- Member, Sexual Harassment Advisory Committee, American University
- Member, Governance Task Force, American University
- Assistant News Director, KCCO-TV, Alexandra, MN.
- "Writing To Video," New York, St. Martin's Press
- “Broadcast News Writing & Reporting” New York, St. Martin's Press. Ch. 16 "Collecting Information from Documents"
- "Fox-Reuters News Service," The Communicator, Radio-Television News Directors Association
- "The Short Life of Radio Editorialist," The Masthead, The Quarterly Journal of the National Conference of Editorial Writers
- "Blindman’s Bluff," Researcher on CHICAGO TRIBUNE newspaper series made into a book and documentary
- "Health Care or Scare?" The Communicator, Radio-Television News Directors Association
- "Feeding Frenzy," The Communicator, Radio-Television News Directors Association
- "Rep. Bill Sarpalius-New Subcommittee Chairman Still Teaching Agriculture," Cotton Commentary, National Cotton Council of America
- "Friends of Ed Share Tales," The Communicator, Radio-Television News Directors Association
- "Fairness Doctrine: Beast or Benefactor?" The Masthead, The Quarterly Journal of the National Conference of Editorial Writers
- Community Spotlight on Solar Power-Interactive Journalism Program americanobserver.net/solar/
- Community Spotlight on Animals-Interactive Journalism Program americanobserver.net/pets/
- Community Spotlight on Podcasters–Interactive Journalism Program xserve.soc.american.edu/podcast/
- Community Spotlight on DC’s Party Animals-MA Grad Boot Camp www1.soc.american.edu/dcpartyanimals/
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Woman of Achievement Award, Toledo, Ohio chapter, Women in Communications
- Crystal Award, Best Television Feature Reporting. Toledo, Ohio, chapter, Women in Communications
- Noblitt School Bell Award, Best Television Education Reporting in Ohio
- School Bell Award, Outstanding education reporting, The Minnesota Education Association
- AP Spot News Award, Continuing coverage of the Sandra Karnes murder trial
- Proclamation: "Jill Olmsted Day," by Mayor Donna Owens, Toledo, Ohio
- Proclamation: Ohio Senate, 117th General Assembly of Ohio, in recognition of outstanding service
- Proclamation: Ohio House of Representatives, 116th General Assembly of Ohio, congratulations
- Resolution: Children's Miracle Network Telethon, Medical College of Ohio, For service, Co-host
- Jack Jurey Scholarship, The American University, Washington, D.C.
Area of Expertise: Broadcast and online journalism, news media criticism
Additional Information: Before her faculty appointment in 1989, Jill Olmsted pursued a career that included stints as a Washington correspondent for WGN-Radio/TV, Chicago; an anchor and a reporter for WTOL-TV, Toledo, Ohio, an anchor for KCCO-TV, Alexandria, Minnesota, and a producer and news writer for KARE-TV, Minneapolis, Minn. For eight years, she hosted Ask Tom Harkin, featuring Iowa senator Tom Harkin, from the studios of the U.S. Capitol for Iowa TV stations. Olmsted provides media training for federal and local law enforcement agencies and has conducted seminars for the Pentagon, Voice of America, Meridian House International, and the U.S. State Department, as well as for international media professionals. She is the author of Exercises in TV News Storytelling, producer of Writing to Video, and a contributor to Vocal Expressiveness and Broadcast News Writing & Reporting. Olmsted has written for newspapers and professional and trade journals, including the Chicago Tribune, the Seattle-Post Intelligencer, the RTNDA Communicator, the Masthead—the Quarterly Journal of the National Conference of Editorial Writers, and Cotton Commentary, the American Senator. She was a researcher for the Tribune newspaper series that led to the book Blind Man's Bluff, the Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage,a Top-10 bestseller that was made into a televised documentary.
To request an interview please call AU Media Relations at 202-885-5950 or submit an interview request form.
AU News and Achievements
Merriman Winner Brings Energy, Talent to Journalism
Jeremy Borden accepted the 2011 Merriman Award in New York City at the Writer's Guild-East Awards ceremony....
New Washington Post Fellowship Includes Full Tuition, Stipend
Fellow to receive full tuition, $30K annual stipend and the chance to work side-by-side with top journalists....
Interactive Journalism Program Adjuncts Bring Wealth of Experience
Coming from a wide range of organizations, including PBS, USA Today, NPR and the Washingtonian, their ...