When Will I Receive My 2017 W-2?
If you opted in for an electronic W-2, your W-2 for 2017 will be available on the myAU portal on Friday, January 19. If you did not opt-in for an electronic W-2, you can expect a paper W-2 in the mail by Wednesday, January 31, according to the IRS deadline. You can opt-in to see previous W-2s online at any time while you're affiliated with AU.
Important Information for Tax Exempt Individuals
If you are claiming exempt from tax withholding on your paycheck and would like to continue exempt status in 2018, you must submit a new W-4 or appropriate state form. If you do not submit a tax form, taxes will be withheld from your paycheck. Employees on the bi-weekly payroll schedule must submit a form by Friday, January 26. Employees on the monthly payroll schedule must submit a new form by Tuesday, February 6.
Important Payroll Deadlines
||Submit new W-4 or state form for tax exemption by Friday, 1/26|
|Monthly employees||Submit new W-4 or state form for tax exemption by Tuesday 2/6|
||Electronic W-2 available Friday 1/19
Paper W-2 will be delivered by Wednesday 1/31
Will you have more than 15 days of leave at the end of April? Staff are only allowed to carry over 15 days of earned annual leave after Monday, April 30, 2018. Plan now and work with your supervisor to schedule your use of annual leave.
For employees with a 35-hour workweek, the limit is 105 hours of earned annual leave. For employees with 28-hour workweek, the limit is 84 hours of earned annual leave. For employees with 40-hour workweek, the limit is 120 hours earned annual leave.
Are you planning to take classes this semester? Here are some important reminders about your tuition remission benefits at American University:
- Spring 2018 Tuition Remission Applications Due by Monday, January 22
- Online applications must be submitted every semester that you plan on using AU's education benefits.
- All graduate level courses are 100% taxable, although faculty and staff receive annually the first $5,250 of their tuition tax-free. Same-sex domestic partners are taxed 100% on undergraduate classes.
- Taxation on remitted tuition can significantly reduce your net (take-home) pay. Use the Symmetry® calculator to estimate your take-home pay if you will be taking courses that are subject to taxation. Because there are many factors that may affect your individual situation, you may want to consult a tax advisor.
- If you need to adjust your work schedule to take a class, your flex work arrangement and/or work schedule exemption form must be submitted and approved by your manager and authorized department official before your tuition remission is approved.
If you have any questions or need assistance with tuition remission, contact the Benefits Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call x3400.
Take the first step towards accomplishing your 2018 health and fitness goals with AhealthyU's Weigh 2 Win challenge. In this 12-week weight loss challenge, teams of four work together to achieve their healthy weight goals and compete for a cash jackpot (powered by HealthyWage®). Each team that loses an average of 6% will share in an equal amount of the jackpot.
Running January 22 - April 16, 2017, Weigh 2 Win is more than the typical fitness challenge. The program offers personal support, team incentives, and the HealthyWage® online platform to help you achieve your goals. Resources and tools include complimentary:
- 1-on-1 consultations with a dietician (2 sessions)
- Unlimited access to AhealthyU spring group fitness classes
- Pre- and post-fitness assessments provided by Public Safety's LawFit® program
How do I Join the Challenge?
- Form a team of four members. (Don't have a team? HealthyWage® will match you with one.)
- Register by Monday, January 22 at www.american.edu/W2W.
How much does it cost?
The total registration fee per team member is $60 but AhealthyU will be paying the administration fee of $15, so participants will only pay $45. You can pay all at once or in three $15 installments. Participation fees contribute to the jackpot.
Weigh-ins are only required at the beginning and end of the challenge. Weekly weigh-ins are not required, but if you submit your weight (which will be kept confidential), you will be entered into the weekly raffle to win your choice of a From the Farmer large farm box or a $50 voucher to the AU Farmers Market.
Points to AhealthyU Game Players
Participate in the Weigh 2 Win challenge and receive 8 points. To redeem point stamps for this challenge, you must participate in the full duration of the program. Stamps are awarded upon program completion.
For full details and challenge rules, visit www.american.edu/W2W.
Achieve your wellness goals and stay motivated all season long with the Points to AhealthyU game, January 17 - April 27. Participate in AhealthyU programs, collect stamps, and redeem them for great prizes.*
Playing the Points to AhealthyU game gives you the opportunity to try AhealthyU's programs that can help you meet your health goals. Want to exercise more? Try a group fitness class. Want to learn healthy recipes? Attend a cooking demo.
Points Player Spotlight
As one of the highest-ranking players, Laura Lee, Senior Accountant for Academic Programs, stayed active last fall by taking advantage of AhealthyU programs and filling up multiple game sheets.
"The game incentivizes me to stay active," said Laura. "The AhealthyU game makes it super convenient. I can go [to classes] after work or on my lunch break."
Tips from a Seasoned Player
Want to get more points? To fill up your game sheet, Laura recommends:
- Register your game sheet, and start with five points.
- Join programs that give a lot of points. This spring, Points to AhealthyU game players receive 8 points for participating in the Weigh 2 Win challenge.
- Attend the spring group fitness classes. Laura enjoys attending yoga at noon.
If you played the Points Game in the fall, you must start a new game sheet for spring, stamps earned in the fall do not rollover.
*Prizes are subject to tax.
Talent Development Course Calendar: January
Register for the instructor-led courses listed below by logging on to AsuccessfulU, AU's online training registration system, via the myAU portal.
Thursday 1/25 & Tuesday 2/20
MGC 200 | 9 am - 5 pm
Science of Inclusion: The Brain and Bias
MGC 200, 9 am - 1 pm
Creating a Service Culture
McDowell Formal Lounge, 12 pm - 1:30 pm
McDowell Formal Lounge, 12 pm - 1:30 pm
Tools for Crucial Conversations
MGC 245, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
One-on-One Investment Counseling Sessions Schedule
One-on-one financial planning consultations for Fidelity and TIAA are available at the following dates. All meetings will take place at the 3201 New Mexico Ave office between 9 am - 4 pm in Room 280T.
- Thursday January 18
- Thursday, February 8
- Tuesday, February 27
To schedule a consultation, please visit https://nb.fidelity.com/public/nb/default/fort.
- Wednesday, January 24
- Wednesday February 7
- Wednesday, February 28
To schedule a consultation, please visit
Thursdays, 12 pm, MGC 247
Couch to 5K & 10K
Prepare to run a 5K or 10K race with AhealthyU's 3 day/week training program. Register by Monday, February 26.
Wednesdays, 11 am - 4 pm, The Quad
Spring Group Fitness Classes
now - Friday, April 27
Stretch It Out
Tuesday, February 20 & March 6, 2:30 pm
Watch our live stretching demo on AU RecFit's Facebook page
Many of you shared your gratitude for your colleagues on this banner (pictured above) at the December 2017 holiday reception. This display is the start of an appreciation culture shift at American University. What are some ways you can share gratitude to your colleagues every day? Contact the AU Staff Recognition and Rewards Committee to share your ideas.