Assistant Vice President of Campus Life & Director, ISSS
Office of Campus Life
- Dr. Fanta Aw is Assistant Vice President of Campus Life and Director of International Student and Scholar Services at American University in Washington D.C. Dr. Aw oversees all administrative, programmatic and personnel operations related to International/Intercultural programs and services and student engagement in the Office of Campus. Units for which she has oversight include Student Activities, University Center, Center for Diversity and Inclusion, Center for Community Engagement and Service, and the Kay Spiritual Life Center. Dr. Aw advises American University leadership on matters related to campus internationalization, and issues of inclusion, diversity and equity. Dr. Aw taught as an adjunct faculty at George Washington University from 2003-2006 and is currently an adjunct faculty at American University, School of International Service. Dr. Aw is on the Board of Directors of NAFSA: Association of International Educators, and on the Advisory Boards of the Intercultural Management Institute at American University.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Diversity Award, 2007, American University, Washington, DC
- Campus Excellence Award, 2007, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Resource Center, American University, Washington, DC
- Outstanding Service Award, 1996, 2001, 2005, American University, Washington, DC
- Award for Exemplary Service, 1996, Multicultural Affairs, American University, Washington, DC
- Best Session of the NAFSA Region VIII Conference, 2005, T.A.L.K.: Taking Action to Learn about “Kulture” , NAFSA: Association of International Educators, Washington, DC
- Designed and facilitated over a 100 immigration, cross-cultural communication, and international education exchange presentations and workshops for NAFSA: Association of International Educators, Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, United Negro College Fund, AMIDEAST, Academy for Educational Development, the College Board, American Council, Hillel, and the IIE (Institute for International Education)
- Designed and facilitated intercultural communication and diversity workshops for students and staff at American University
- Keynote speaker and workshop leader on immigration, international exchange programs, and intercultural communication, and trends in higher education for the State Department Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Educational advising conferences; East Asia and Pacific, Middle East, North Africa, South America, Africa, and Eurasia
Area of Expertise: Intercultural communication, international educational exchange, campus internationalization, race relations, Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), managing international programs, transnational migration, immigration policies
To request an interview please call AU Media Relations at 202-885-5950 or submit an interview request form.
AU News and Achievements
Ann Ferren Teaching Conference: Inspiring, Motivating
The 23rd annual Ann Ferren Conference gives faculty practical tips on teaching and learning....