- PhD, Biochemistry, University of California, Berkeley
BA, Chemistry, Columbia
- My research focuses on signatures of exposure to environmental carcinogens. I have also studied the enzymatic digestion of biomass to produce cellulosic ethanol biofuel, error-prone bypass DNA polymerase action at polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon diol epoxide (PAH-DE) induced damage sites, PAH-DE reactions with DNA, water chlorination mutagens and toxic heavy metals. I teach courses about our energy system and its relationship to climate change.
Mechanisms by which polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon carcinogens found in cigarette and other smoke, and soot damage DNA and cause mutations and cancer. Bypass DNA synthesis by Y-family DNA polymerases. Enzymatic digestion of lignocellulose in the production of cellulosic ethanol.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, 1F32 ES05091, 1977-78
- American University Award for Outstanding Teaching in the General Education Program, 2004
- Chiapperino, D., Kroth, H., Kramarczuk, I. H., Sayer, J. M., Masutani, C., Hanaoka, F., Jerina, D. M. and Cheh, A.M.* Preferential Misincorporation Of Purine Nucleotides By Human DNA Polymerase Eta Opposite Benzo[A]Pyrene 7,8-Diol 9,10-Epoxide Deoxyguanosine Adducts” J. Biol. Chem. 277, 11765-11771 (2002).
- Chiapperino, D., Cai, M., Sayer, J. M., Yagi, H., Kroth, H., Masutani, C., Hanaoka, F., Jerina, D. M. and Cheh, A.M.* “Error-prone Translesion Synthesis with DNA Polymerase Eta on DNA Containing 7,8-Dihydroxy-9,10-Epoxy-7,8,9,10-Tetrahydrobenzo[a]pyrenyl dA Adducts” J. Biol. Chem. 280, 39684-39692 (2005).
- Chundawat, S. P.S.*, Bellesia, G., Uppugundla, N., da Costa Sousa,L., Gao,D., Cheh, A.M., Agarwal, U.P., Bianchetti, C.M., Phillips, G.N., Jr., Langan,P., Balan,V., Gunanakaran,S*. and Dale, B.E. Restructuring the Crystalline Cellulose Hydrogen Bond Network Enhances Its Depolymerization Rate, J. Amer. Chem Soc. 133 (29), 11163–11174 (2011)
• *corresponding author
Work In Progress
- He,Y.J., Yagi, H. Jerina, D. M.and Cheh, A. M.* Cytosine Methylation of CpG Increases Yield Of Benzo[c]phenanthrene Diol Epoxide Adducts at Adjacent A and Dibenz[a,j]anthracene Diol Epoxide +2 Adducts at G.
- Cai, M., Sayer, J.M., Ohashi, E., Ohmori, H., Jerina, D.M. and Cheh, A.M.* “Limited Error-prone Bypass of Benzo[a]pyrene 7,8-Diol 9,10-Epoxide DE-2 Deoxyadenosine Adducts by Human DNA Polymerase Kappa
- Phillips, T. B., Cai, M., Sayer, J. M., Masutani, C., Hanaoka, F., Jerina, D. M. and Cheh, A.M.*, “Unusual rate acceleration of extension by DNA polymerase Eta at Benzo[c]phenanthrene Diol Epoxide dA adducts” *corresponding author