- Additional Positions at AU
- Affiliate Associate Professor, School of International Service
- Chair, Dean’s Advisory Committee, CAS
- Co-Director, Middle East Studies
- Elke Stockreiter is a historian of modern Africa. Her research and teaching interests include the histories of colonialism, gender, race, and slavery in Africa and the Indian Ocean World. Trained as an Africanist and Arabist, her research explores the intersection of ethnicity, gender, and social mobility in East and West Africa through the lens of Islamic law. She has completed her first book, Islamic Law, Gender, and Social Change in Post-Abolition Zanzibar (Cambridge University Press, 2015), which provides new evidence on female agency and the workings of Islamic courts during the British colonial period, 1890-1963.
HIST-120 Empires Past and Present
HIST-385 Topics in African History: Islamic Africa